Chapter 16

I was Floating...

My body felt almost feather-like... Weightless. But it didn't scare me as it should have.

The exhaustion and pain that I suffered back then had subsided to nonexistent. The sorrowful emotions that caused pain had vanished, and after a long time, my mind was at ease. I loved the current state of bliss I was in. The water was still yet I could feel it caress my skin.

But in contrast to the state I was in, my surroundings were pitch black. I twirled around and gazed into the darkness that had engulfed me. I looked above and saw light, the wavy blue ocean ahead, but too far from the darkness I was in.

How am I gonna reach there? I don't know to swim.

A familiar kind of warmth found my right hand, a warmth that I had yearned for the past few weeks.
He interlaced his long fingers with mine. My hand felt almost small, childlike in his hands. Even in the darkness, I knew it was him, Jungkook.

Despite the fact, we were in water his touch evoked fireworks inside me. His other hand found my face, drew me closer and his lips found mine. I could taste longing and a fragment of fear in his kiss.

No more words were exchanged as he took my hands and kissed my knuckles before leading us out of the darkness. I felt safe, my hand secured in his. I followed his lead feeling all giddy by his affection.

We swam towards the surface alongside each other, and the darkness dissipated, giving its way to the blues. But the light was still away on the surface, so we swam harder.

Above the darkness, we were welcomed into a beautiful blue world, with colorful fishes and corals. When I twirled to look at Jungkook, he had a cute smile on his face, his hair floated giving him a funny look, making me giggle.

He pressed a light peck on my cheeks, making me blush, and continued swimming.

As we neared the surface, my impatience got the best of me, and swam faster, taking the lead. But less did I know that I had lost the warmth in my hands.

I swirled around immediately when I noticed Jungkook was not with me. And then I saw him being dragged by big tentacles twisted around his body, dragging him back into the darkness.

No, this can't happen.
My mind screams at me.

I followed him, to let him free from the tentacles, but I couldn't swim. I trashed my limbs against the water, but I couldn't swim. And then he disappeared into the darkness.

I panicked and the pain returned with full force, my chest tightened, and I felt the pressure on my windpipe. I felt as if the world was closing down on me. The emotions that had vanished earlier crashed into my mind like a train wreck.

And suddenly I was lost without him, and a new emotion overtook my mind..... The fear of losing Jungkook.

Then I heard voices, the urgency in their voices didn't go unnoticed by me, they were speaking in Korean, but I felt too disoriented to understand what was going on.

I wanted to speak but couldn't, my breath came out labored, and I was being engulfed in the darkness once again.

Then it came, the numbness that I was waiting for, the numbness that I always felt after enduring the pain, the exhaustion returned.

Then I felt a familiar warmth seep into my system like a soothing potion. It dissolved the pain that flowed as turbulent as a river near its origin. A warmth that I wish I can hang on to for my whole life.

I felt someone kiss my nape.

"I'm sorry," I heard the person whisper before I was pulled back into the abyss.