Chapter 23

I sat on the chair beside my bed, holding onto his hand, hoping the meds would work and his fever would go down. After half an hour, his temperature had considerably decreased, and he had stopped grunting in sleep. He slept calmly right now, and I felt my mind at ease.

It must be sudden calmness blended with exhaustion that my eyes started to feel heavier and heavier until my mind set off on a voyage to dreamland.

*

I looked around and saw being surrounded by the deep cerulean blue ocean again. It's the ocean again, it seems. The sunlight shone brightly above the water, making patterns on its surface. Colorful fishes of different sizes swam around the water.

Suddenly, a shoal of fishes passed right by my side, they had pretty violet and golden scales. Awestruck by their beauty, I failed to notice a hand that extended towards me. The moment his long digits gently wound around my wrist, I knew who he is.

He pulled me to him, my body crashed against his hard chest. The butterfly on his chest made me grin, and I glanced at him through my lashes. Jungkook's brown eyes twinkled with mischief and bore into my soul. He gently squeezed my waist, making me shudder, despite the heat that his touch ignited in my body. His wandering eyes dropped to my lips, and he slowly lowered his head to mine.

Jungkook delicately brushed his lips against mine, but before he could turn that into a full-blown kiss, I pulled back and pushed him away; teasingly. The shock on his face was priceless, and it made me giggle. I playfully winked at him and swam backward, gesturing him to follow. Jungkook narrowed his eyes and swam forward, but I chuckled and drifted away. He swam harder, and I twirled around, floating away from him.

Jungkook and I giggled and swarmed, chasing one another like five yr old. I passed through another shoal of tiny fishes, separating them, but they joined instantly, only to be broken again by Jungkook.

Our eyes clashed again; I grinned at him mischievously and continued swimming. But this time, he caught my wrist and pulled me closer.

But the moment I looked back, it was not Jungkook's victorious smile that welcomed me as expected; it was pitch darkness.

When did the blue waters turn black? What's happening?

This darkness that surrounded us seemed familiar. It was similar to the dark abyss; I dreamt of when I was in a coma.

Fear gripped my heart.

We need to get outta this darkness. My hand was still securely held by Jungkook; I could feel the heat of his palm against mine. I tightly held onto his hand and started to swim, trying to find a way out of this darkness.

But Jungkook didn't budge, making me stop as well.

"Jungkook, let's get outta here. This darkness is not safe," I told him.

"Babe, I can't come. I'm stuck here," he answered, making me confused.

"Can't you get out of here if you tried?"

"I can't." That's the only answer I received.

Suddenly, Jungkook got dragged deeper into the darkness, making me follow him as well. But I held his hand tightly in mine and tried to pull him away from the abyss-like darkness.

I wonder what pulled him backward.

"Jungkook, please try; you can do it," I said desperately.

I pulled at his hand with all my strength, but again something stopped him from following me.

Then, I felt something like a tentacle creep onto our joined palms and wound around my wrist, twisting it in the process. I howled in pain.