CHAPTER 22 - is it april fools?

a/n - please vote hehehehe

5 hours after the breakup
i roll myself up in my blanket, closing my eyes. my phone vibrates, and i pick it up, half-hoping it was olivia, calling to change her mind. i sigh, seeing jess calling me.

"how'd it go?" jess asks. "she broke up with me," i mumble. "WHAT?!" jess yells. i stay quiet. "you're joking. is it april fools? no, it's not. you're not joking. oh god, you're not joking," jess panics, "did she break up with you after or before you got to tell her?" "i didn't tell her," i say, "i was gonna tell her after she talked, but she broke up with me." "why?" jess asks. i explain the whole thing to her. "y/n," jess sighs, "i thought you loved her." "i do," i whisper. stupid spider. stupid suit. stupid web shooters. stupid spider-woman. "was there someone else i don't know about?" jess asks. "what? no! no, i wouldn't do that," i tell her, "do you think i would cheat on olivia?" "no! i'm just getting that question out of the way, why're you so busy now?" she asks. "i don't know," i say. i change the subject, "i have work tomorrow." "are you gonna go?" jess asks. "i have to," i say. "i'm not working tomorrow. i can take your shift," she offers. "no, i'll go," i tell her, "it'd be irresponsible for me not to go."

we talk for another half an hour before jess goes to eat dinner. she hangs up, and i roll out of bed, walking to my suit that was hanging on my rack. i take it off, opening an empty bottom drawer. i drop it in, closing it with my foot.

i look at myself in the mirror, eyes falling down to the locket. i reach behind me, taking it off. i open the locket, looking at the small picture. i sigh, closing it and putting it into a drawer.

i walk into work, dropping my keys into my tray. "are you okay?" kaizen asks. for a second, i thought he was being serious. "you're 4 minutes late! i thought the world was ending, what's going on? am i dreaming?" "sorry," i mutter. "hey," he says, in a more serious tone, "what's wrong?" "nothing's wrong," i say. "tell me," he says. "olivia and i broke up, okay? doesn't matter, i'm at work," i say. "oh, i'm sorry, y/n," he sighs. god, i hate sympathy.

i shake my head, "it's fine. i'm gonna work." i put my glasses on, whispering FRIDAY. "you wear glasses? and where's your work watch?" he asks. "replaced it with the glasses," i say, "programmed it to work like the watch." "for real?" he chuckles. "yeah," i say, pushing open the door.

fortunately and unfortunately, olivia hasn't came in yet. "y/n, your shift ended an hour ago," kaizen walks up to me as i clean a table. "i know," i tell him. "so... go home," he chuckles. "i'll stay the rest of the night," i tell him. "that's another 3 hours," he tells me, tucking in the chairs. "i know," i say, "that's why i said it." "y/n, i know what you're doing. you're over working to distract yourself," he figures out, "you haven't done this since your last breakup." "in that case, i'll come in every day. give me all the shifts," i say, walking away.

7 days later
i walk into the staff room. "y/n, go home!" jess yells. "i'm your manager. you can't make me," i say. "you literally look dead," jess says, "and, kaizen told me that if you come today, he says to go home." "i don't get it, i'm doing this place a favor," i scoff. "no, you're not! you're ruining yourself. go home." i shake my head, opening the door.

julien, mateo and scarlett look at me. "go home!" they all yell. "guys, please," i groan, "just let me work." "i'll get kaizen to literally fire you," mateo says. "do it," i say. "okay, i will," he challenges, "say your goodbyes." "you're not actually gonna get me fired, right?" i ask. "no," he chuckles, "i'd miss you too much." "funny," i sigh, looking at the customer walking in.

2 weeks later
i get home, yawning. i go to my instagram, seeing olivia had post something on her story. i couldn't tap on it, she'd see it. i go to her profile, seeing she still followed me.

i go to my profile, scrolling to the valentine's post. i stare at it, archiving it seconds later.

olivia's pov

___________________

Pop Crave @PopCrave · 17h
Y/n L/n has now deleted or archived her Valentine's Day post.

*1 attachment*

2,432 retweets | 912 quote tweets | 102k likes

___________________

"i mean, what was she meant to do? keep it up?" iris asks as i show her the tweet. "i don't know," i sigh. "it'd be weird if she kept it up," iris says. "yeah." "still can't believe this. y/n. y/n out of all people!" "should i have waited for her?" i ask, "maybe... maybe she was going through something." "i think she would've told you," iris says, "ugh, i miss that cafe so bad. why can't you let me go?" "i don't want it to be awkward," i say, "even if you go. it's gonna be awkward." "i can't stand this," she groans, "i'm gonna go tomorrow with conan and madison, come if you want." "she doesn't work tomorrow," i whisper to myself. i still remember her damn work shift hours off by heart. "so go," iris says. "fine," i say, "but in case she is working, i'm coming in after you guys get a table."

i bring the phone to my ear. "you can come in now, she's not here," iris says. "okay," i say, hanging up and walking in.

i look around, still nervous y/n was here. i sit down at the table, and jess walks over after we call someone to order. "hey, what can i grab you guys today?" she says. she writes down everyone's order. "hey," iris says, in a tone where she wants to say something else, looking up at her. oh no. "yeah?" jess asks, with a small smile. "how's y/n?" iris asks. i can't get mad at her, i'm dying to know to. "oh," jess' smile fades as she flickers her eyes to me, looking back at iris, "not good." "define 'not good'," conan says. "past month she's been working every day since we open 'till when we close. like, every day. even when she wasn't meant to be working," jess explains. "why?" madison asks. "it's what she does when she's stressed, or upset. or both," she says, "it got really bad. she's fired now." "what?!" iris, madison and conan yell. "why?" i ask quietly. "oh, not like fired, fired. kaizen only fired her last week because she's working too much, she refused to not work. only way to stop her was to fire her," jess explains, "told you it was bad. but don't worry, she'll be back here sooner or later when she gets everything together again." i nod, looking down. shit, i felt bad. "how are you doing, olivia?" jess asks. "oh," i say, looking back up. "i'm... doing alright, i guess," i lie. "um, not sure if i'm meant to say this," jess says, "but y/n really likes you, olivia. i'm not just saying this to guilt trip you or whatever, but i know y/n, we've been friends for years. i know she's changed, but she'll be back to normal, just give her time. so if you still have feelings for her when she... goes back to normal, i know she'd still wanna be with you." i swallow, nodding, "thanks." "all good," jess sighs, "food will be with you guys soon."