9. Shocking

Later that day, apparently JB was in the Sheriffs office and Peterkin was asking about the compass. Kiara had to bail JB out and right now JB is at work and I am also at work. We both work for Ward Cameron. John B has no idea that JJ and I had a make out session.

"Hey shit bags!" A guy yells. "Ward Cameron is looking for you!"

JB and I look at each other and walk over to Wards boat. He has us sit down.

"Did you, or did you not steal some gear off of the boat yesterday?" He asks.

JB and I look at each other. "Yes. Yes we did." JB says. "Well, I did. Not Ash." He says.

Ward looks at the both of us. "But your sister had the keys. So that means that she gave them to you. So actually she was involved." Ward says. "Listen, I know you guys have had a tough year, but I gotta let you guys go."

JB and I walk away, pissed off. We walk past Sarah Cameron.

"Hey John B." She says. "Not even a hi?" She asks.

"Your secret's safe with me?" JB asks her.

"What?" Sarah asks. "Ohhh. That secret." She says.

"This might sound crazy to you, but some of us actually need money to buy food to survive." John B says. He grabs my wrist and we both start running away.

"How did Sarah Cameron know?" I ask.

"She was on the boat when I was returning it." John B says. We both keep sprinting out our anger but then a big black truck stops by us and rolls down the window. It's the square groupers.

"Times up." They say. JB and I starts running away and the dudes chase us. JB breaks a fence and the square grouper each have a gun. We run through peoples yards and the truck almost hits us.

We run through an alley and both go to climb a fence but live wires are touching it and we both get electrocuted.

I see a big blast and then I lay on the ground, the pain hits me in different spots. I'm twitching everywhere and my eyes get heavy.

"Give me what I want." The guy says. He punches me in the face and everything goes black.

I wake up on the couch and the first thing I see is John B cleaning up. I cough immediately.

JB looks over at me. "Holy shit you're awake." He says. He immediately hugs me. "You scared me Ashie."

I groan in pain. "Everything hurts." I say. "Do I have a black eye?"

JB nods and hands me some ice. I look over at my arm and it's wrapped in a white medical cloth. My upper ankle is wrapped too.

"What happened?" I ask.

"We were running from the dudes and then we ran into a fence with a live wire by it. We both got shocked and you have a burn on your ankle and wrist but the compass absorbed most of the shock for me." JB says.

"You still have the compass right?" I ask.

"I gave it to the Sheriff. And before you say anything, I did it for us. I mean, look what's happening. Guns, electric shocks, what's next?" JB asks.

"We need to leave the past in the past." I say.

"Alright. I'm gonna burn some things. Just rest for now." JB says. He kisses my forehead. (In a sibling kind of way.)

"Okay thanks JB." I say. I lay my head back down but a few minutes later, JB runs back in.

"Redfield." JB says. "Our family tree." He says.

We both get in the car. "We aren't leaving the past in the past." I say. "But our dad is out there." I say. "And we won't give up JB."