21. Blood

JJ runs with me over his shoulder and tears are running down my face. Will JB be okay?

JJ puts me down. "Are you gonna run?" He asks. I shake my head no and he hugs me. "Good girl." He says. He kisses the top of my head.

"I'm sorry JJ." I say. "I'm just worried about him." I say.

"I know Ash. I understand." He says. Then we see the plane fly over.

Pope yells. "Fuck!!" And he throws something a wall and starts breaking and kicking stuff. I am still by JJ's side. "God damn it!!" Pope yells. He starts breaking stuff with a baseball bat.

Pope starts hyperventilating and he sits down.

"Pope." Kiara says.

"Yeah dude." JJ says. "I was wondering when this was gonna happen." JJ gives Pope a weed pen thingy.

"Really Pope?" Kie asks.

"What Kie? It doesn't matter anymore." I say.

Then I see JB walk over and I immediately run and hug him. "Holy shit. Are you okay?" I ask. I see blood on his shirt and hands.

"Who's blood is that?" Kie asks.

JB looks totally out of it. He looks shocked. We hear sirens so we all duck down and I hug John B. He tells us about Peterkin and Rafe. Rafe shot her. Rafe shot the Sheriff.

We get in a car and JB drives to the police station. "What are we doing here?" I ask.

"Someone has to tell them what happened." John B says.

"My old man told me. You should never ever trust cops. No matter what the circumstance is." JJ says.

"Your old man's and abusive liar." Kie says.

"But he's right." I say. "Cops are nothing but liars."

"That's right cupcake." JJ says. He kisses my forehead.

"When's the last time the police ever helped us?" Pope asks.

"Peterkin looked out for me, all right? And Ash too. She tried to. They need to know." JB says. He walks into the police station.

I'm in the backseat with JJ. He has his arm wrapped around me. I cuddle into his side.

"You look tired." JJ says.

"I am." I say. "I got like 1 hour of sleep last night."

"You can take a nap. I'll be right here." JJ says.

"No. I have to be here for John B." I say. Then I see JB run out of the building.

"Kie start the car!!!" He yells. Then he gets in and we start driving away.

"JB what happened?!" I ask.

"They-they think it was me." JB says. He looks scared. We drive around until the morning and I haven't slept.

"Ash, get some sleep." JB says. I shake my head no.

"No. I have to stay up." I say. "What happens if they catch us? I can't be asleep." I say.

"Yucatan guys. That's the option." JJ says. "I'm being serious this time."

"Enough with the Mexico bullshit." JB says. "Sarah will bail me out."

"Dude we gotta get you off the island." JJ says.

I slowly start to drift into sleeping and eventually I fall asleep in the back seat.

I wake up about an hour later and I see JJ holding a "wanted" poster of John B. $25,000.

"What the fuck?!" I ask. "N-no." I say. I start panicking. I try to breath out of my mouth but it's too loud.

"Ash come on. Deep breaths princess." JJ says. I take some deep breaths and then hug JJ.

"Wait, what about The Phantom?" Pope asks. "That old weed boat or whatever. The one your dad used to race."

"Maybe." JJ says.

"Guys, the car is on the poster." JB says. No one hears him but I do. I turn pale white.

"The-the car is on the poster?!" I ask.

Then Pope starts driving. Pope sucks at driving. I scream as we hit a mailbox. Then Pope slams on the breaks. "John B get out. They'll follow the car." Pope says.

I hug JB super quickly. "I'll see you." I say. "3 o'clock. You know where to go." He hugs me back and then runs into the woods.

We drive around all day, avoiding the cops. Then JJ has me go to sleep. I fall asleep in the back seat on JJ's lap. I wake up and we are parked outside of the Cameron's house.

We hop the fence and then start working on our plan to get Sarah out.