13. Drone

We test out the drone the next day but a storm comes in and we can't send it down.

I lay in my bed next to my brother because of the thunder. I hold onto him and he calms me down.

"Thanks JB." I say, shaking. He has his arm around me.

—————————————————————————

The next day, we are out in the boat and we are putting the drone thingy deep into the ocean.

I am putting tally marks on the side of the boat while Kie puts the drone down deeper.

"500 feet!" Kie yells. Then I hear thunder. I try to ignore it.

A few minutes later, the wind picks up and boat jerks to the side and I fall into the sea. I go to swim up but the current pushes me down. My worst fear.

My worst fear is being in a storm in the middle of the ocean and drowning. I start to see stars as the current pushes me around. Everything starts to go black but then I feel muscular arms wrap around my waist and take me back to the surface.

As soon as I reach the surface, I breath oxygen immediately and I am lifted up to the boat.

"Ash can you hear me?" JB asks. He sounds worried.

I open my eyes and start coughing and choking up water. JB helps me up and immediately hugs me. Tears fall down my face as more thunder rumbles.

"It's the Royal Merchant!!" Pope yells. JB and I immediately look at the screen and smile.

"Holy shit." I say. I look at JB. He smiles at me.

We look closer to the boat but there isn't any gold. JB and I's smiles fade.

"It's not there." JB says. "Someone beat us to it." He puts his hood up and walks to the other end of the boat.

I see lighting and my heart races. We get the drone back up and JJ starts driving away. I walk over to him and put my head on his shoulder.

He steers with one hand and wraps his arm around me. "Are you okay?" He asks. "I saw you fall off and I immediately dove in to get you." He says.

"Yeah I'm fine now." I say. Then I hear thunder and I flinch.

JB and I get home but see Cheryl, a social worker on the couch.

"Not good timing." I say. Some large office dude with no neck and a large ass head walks behind us.

JB tries to run but I just stand there. I don't want to go to foster care. I don't want to leave home.

We end up packing and getting in the car. JB is looking at a picture of Dad and then it flies out the window.

"Please! It's the last thing I have left!" JB says.

The guy gets out of the car and goes out to get it. Then I catch on JB's plan.

"Can we go help him? Please?" I ask.

Cheryl hesitates but then unlocks the doors.

"Thanks Cheryl." I say. John B and I start sprinting away. We both hop on bikes and do a huge jump.

Then, we both fall off of the bike because a huge chain cuts us off.

"Oww!" I yell. I grab my side and there's blood on my hand.

"Shit are you guys okay?" Sarah Cameron asks. She walks over to us.

"Can you take us to a hospital?" JB asks her. She agrees and we both get in her car. I duck down in the back seat.

"Sarah, do you see a guy with absolutely no neck?" JB asks.

"Yeah. He's with a woman and a cop car." Sarah says.

"Go. Drive please." I say.

"Drive go go go." John B says. We drive away.

"Shit JB. You have a bruise on your side." I say.

"Let's go to my house and clean that up." Sarah says.

"I need to go to JJ's house. Just drop me off there." I say.

"Ashie, you're bleeding." JB says.

"I'm fine." I say. "I'm sure JJ has stuff."

They drop me off at JJs house and we go to a movie with Kie and Pope, after I clean up my wound and tell JJ what happened

Right after the movie starts, Pope has to pee and now we're all fighting behind the movie screen.

Rafe punches me in the gut and I punch him back.

Kie lights the movie thing on fire and we all run.