77. Brothers

A few minutes later, we are all helping out at Heyward's because we have nothing better to do. I haven't seen my brother in hours, it feels like days.

"I appreciate the help, you three." Mrs. Heyward says.

"I ain't missing Mrs. Heywards cooking." JJ says.

"Unlike my derelict son. He's usually here by now." Mrs. Heyward says. Then Mr. Heyward walks out.

"Either one of y'all moved the pistol from in there?" He asks, walking out of the shop. "The one that I keep under the register?"

"Nope." I say. Fuck. Pope prolly took it.

"JJ?" He asks.

"Whoa, okay. I didn't touch it." JJ says.

"Yeah well somebody did, 'cause it's gone." Heyward says. "I gotta find it." Me and Mrs. Heyward go inside to look for it.

"Pope." I say.

"Yeah, he's going after Rafe." JJ says.

"Fuck. No. If Pope kills somebody, he's never gonna recover." I say. "It's hard to."

"I'll check Tannyhill." JJ says. "Ash, you come with me."

"I'll take the marina." Cleo says. We all start running to find Pope.

JJ and I arrive at Tannyhill and find no one. Cleo probably found him by now.

"I should prolly head to the Carrera's for some sleep." I say.

"Just come over to my house, you don't have to deal with Mike Carrera right now." JJ says.

"It's fine, J." I say. "I can't ditch Kie." I say. "I'll see you tomorrow." I say. I kiss him on the cheek and he kisses me back.

"Goodnight, Mrs. Maybank." JJ says. "At least try to get some sleep tonight." He says. He kisses me again and then walks away. I'm gonna marry that boy.

A few minutes later, I arrive at the Carrera's and Kie's mom opens the door. She immediately hugs me. "Hey! I was worried about you." She says.

"Yeah, Pope went missing so we went out to find him." I say. "Thanks for letting me stay here." I say.

"Oh of course!" She says. "You're like my second daughter!" She says. I smile and head up to Kie's room.

I walk in and see Kie looking at pictures of all of us. I go jump onto the bed. "Hi!!" I say.

"Hey Ash!" Kie says. "Look at this picture of your man." She says. She shows me a picture of JJ sitting in a tree, holding a beer. I smile at it.

JJ POV:

I go lay on the couch of the Chateau, waiting for John B. I haven't seen my best friend for over a day. He's been out with his lunatic father. I mean, he's my best friend and he's been keeping secrets from me. Like what the fuck? Plus, Ash is worried so much about him that she can't sleep. This is becoming a problem.

Then I hear a car pull up and I walk out of the porch. It's the Twinkie. I see John B get out.

"Well look who it is." I say. "Nice of you to show up. You gonna spill the beans?" I ask. "Tell me the truth about what's going on?" I ask.

"Look, I know I've been a little shady." John B says. "And, stretched the truth a little bit." He says.

"That's called lying." I say. "You know that your sister has been worried sick about you? She worries day and night." I say. "I doubt that she'll even fall asleep tonight with his worried she is."

"Yeah, I know I lied." John B says. "And I shouldn't of just left you guys here."

"John B, what's going on?" I ask, concerned for John B.

"My dad killed two guys." JB says.

"Yeah, Ash told me about that." I say.

"He was trying to protect us." JB says.

"No no no. Hold on, okay?" I ask. "Ash told me this almost right after it happened and you're just telling me now?" I ask.

"JJ listen!" John B yells. "They took my dad and they tried to kill me. They took him to South America."

"South America?" I ask.

"They're on their way." John B says. Then he starts talking super fast. "A-and I don't know what to do." He says.

"John B!" I yell. "Stop!!" I yell. That shuts him up. "Just breath for a second. You and Ash got that in common." I say. "You guys both overthink and think of the worst possibilities." I say. I go sit on the porch step and put my head in my hands to think. I slap the stair next to me for John B to sit down on.

John B sniffles. "I don't know what to do, JJ." John B says. "How the hell do we get to South America?"

"No clue." I say. I put my arm around John B. "But we're gonna figure it out. We wrap our arms around each other. We're best friends, brothers.