73. Powerslide

A few minutes later, the train starts moving again.

"Hopefully they got it." I say.

"We should prolly go help them." JJ says. We both start running to the dirt bike and we get on. I hear cops.

"Fuck, we gotta go." I say. JJ starts driving and we follow the truck. It's Topper's truck and there's a big box on the back.

We follow the truck down the road as the police chase us. I hold onto JJ with the fear of getting caught. What would my Pops and Mike Carrera think of me then? "J." I say, nervously.

"I know, I know." JJ says. "Don't worry, I'll take care of 'em." JJ says.

"What do you mean?" I ask. He drives by the side of the truck.

"Get ready to jump!" JJ says.

"What?!" I yell. "Have you lost your mind?!" I ask.

"Probably!" JJ yells. "Now get ready to jump!" He says.

"JJ, I'm not letting you take them by yourself!" I yell.

"Ashlyn! Just jump!" JJ yells. "Please!" He yells. I give him a kiss on the cheek and I jump into the bed of the truck. Pope helps me get in but I sit by the edge to tell JJ something.

"J-" He cuts me off.

"Ashlyn, listen to me, no matter what happens, I love you." JJ says. "Je t'aime." He says.

"Wait, what do you mean?!" I ask. "No matter what happens?!" I ask, worried.

"I love you Ashlyn." JJ says. He stops his dirt bike and starts riding towards the police.

"JJ!!" I scream. "NO!" I yell. Kie pulls me towards her. Then the police start chasing him instead of us. Suddenly, I feel like I can't breath. JB isn't here to calm me down. JJ is being chased by the fucking police.

"Ash, look at me." Kie says. "I know JB isn't here and that JJ isn't here either but you need to breath."

"Well no shit." I say, gasping for air. Kie wraps her arms around me as I try and calm down.

"Stay calm, Ash." Kie says. "JJ will be okay." I can breath again.

"You're the best best friend that I could ever ask for." I say. We hug again. I feel the wind hit my face.

"Topper! Stop the truck!" Sarah yells. "We need to get JJ!" She yells.

Then we start driving in JJ's direction. I see him and the police car super close. We keep taking sharp turns and then we are almost under the overpass but JJ is on it. Then I see a car heading his direction.

Then I hear a crash and I see JJ's dirt bike fall off of the overpass, breaking the concrete. My eyes go wide and I jump out of the truck and see the wrecked dirk bike laying on the concrete. Tears fill my eyes as there's no sign of JJ.

"No no no no." I say. "He-he can't be gone." I say. "JJ!!" I yell. Tears run down my face. "JJ!! WHERE ARE YOU?!" I cry. "PLEASE! I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU!" I yell. I collapse to the ground and stare at the dirt bike where JJ and I had shared so many memories. I put my hand over my chest and I can't breath. "Fuck fuck fuck." I say. "No." I cry into my hands.

Then I hear footsteps behind me. "I wish I could say I did that on purpose. But, that was the gnarliest power slide I've ever done." He says. It's JJ's voice. I stand up and turn around and see his face. I thought he was dead.

I sprint to him and hug him. "You're alive!!!" I yell, as tears fall down my face. I cry into his shoulder as I wrap my arms and legs around him. "Please, never do that again." I say. Then the cops yells from the overpass.

"Hey! You kids don't move!" He yells.

"Fuck." JJ says. He runs with me still latched onto him and we get in the truck. I still can't believe that he's alive. I thought I was gonna be left alone.

We sit in the back seat with everyone but Topper and Sarah who are in the front. I am just sitting next to JJ and laying my head on his shoulder and holding his hand.

"Go faster!" Cleo says.

"Cmon!" JJ says. "You're going 65!" He says.

"Alright screw it." Topper says. He starts going faster. Then we hit a bump and the box falls off of the back.

We all get out. Pope goes and takes the lid off and reveals some tires filled with concrete.

"They knew." I say. "It's a fake." I say, looking down. "All of that was for nothing?!" I yell. Then I hear police sirens. "Seriously?!" I yell. "JJ almost fucking died for nothing?!" I yell, getting teary eyed.

"Guys, I can't be here, my grandfather's a judge." Topper says.

"Dawg, could you relax?" JJ asks. "They're not gonna think some dude in flip flops is a part of a robbery, okay?" He asks. I laugh a little. He never fails to make me smile.

We all run into the truck and Topper starts driving. JJ and I go to JJ's house to stay for the night. I don't feel like going to the Carrera's. I can't see Mike's face right now.

JJ and I lay in his bed. I put on one of his hoodies and a pair of his shorts. He has his arms wrapped around me.

"I'm sorry, baby." JJ says. "For scaring you." He says.

"Hey, you did it for the Pogues, JJ." I say. "I respect your decision." We kiss and then fall asleep. Well, JJ falls asleep. I can't. I can't stop being worried about JB. With all I know, my father prolly shot him as well.

JJ POV:

We lay in my bed and I give Ash some clothes to wear. I scared the shit out of her today. She's been through enough and all I do is scare her.

I wrap my arms around her and an hour later, I try to fall asleep but I can't. Ash is awake and her heart is beating fast. She's worried about John B. That son of a bitch better get back soon. I can't stand to see my princess like this. I eventually fall asleep with hope that Ash will too.