89. Stranger Danger

The next morning, we are all covered in black dust and my burn on my arm still hurts. Everyone discusses possible cause but I just sit there with my head on JJ's shoulder, his arm around me.

We stay there for a while but gradually move out to the dock.

"I gotta tell my parents about South America." Kie says.

"So do I." Pope says.

"Pope, we're talking about El Dorado here. Can you just slip out the back maybe?" JJ asks.

"Great advice." Kie says.

"It always worked for me." JJ says. "How to avoid unpleasant circumstances 101. If there's a problem and you don't wanna face it, turn that face and keister around and walk the other way." JJ says.

"Smart boy right there." I say, sitting next to Kie.

"I'm gonna take a stroll back to the shack, for old times sake." JJ says. I hug him. "You coming, Ash." He asks.

"I think you should go solo for this one." I say. I kiss him. "See you at the airstrip." I say.

JJ kisses me. "Je t'aime." He says. I smile.

"Je t'aime." I say. JJ walks away.

JJ POV:

When I get to my house, I pack a bag of clothes for Ash and I. Who knows what they have her wearing at psycho camp. Then, I start looking around for anything valuable. I check closets and under beds but I have no luck. I know my dad had a money stash somewhere.

I walk over to the couch and my foot falls through a floorboard.

"Old piece of shit." I say to myself. Then I see something under the floor. Money. Fucking money.

I break the floors more and I just keep pulling out cash. Holy shit. I can buy Ash a ring with this money. I count it up and I get 7,000 dollars. Holy shit. This is the amount of money to buy Ash a ring.

I run out of my house with my backpack. I won't see this place ever again. All of the good and bad memories.

I run to the jewelry store and look at rings. They are all around 7000 dollars, then I see the one. It is silver with a diamond dolphin design on it. Should I walk out with it?

Ash's POV:

"I'll go pack some stuff and break the new to my parents." Kie says.

"I'll come with you, Kie. Maybe I'll soften the blow." I say. "See you in an hour JB." I say. JB does the whistle thing and I do it back.

Kie and I walk to her house and figure out what we're going to say.

"I mean, I'm practically an adult." Kie says.

"I'll never ask for anything again." I say. "No, I can't promise that."

"Why is this so hard?" Kie asks me.

"Honestly, I have no idea." I say.

"So we have like 5 more minutes until we get to my house." Kie says.

"Well, either way, this isn't going down well." I say. "And if your parents want you to go to that camp, then they probably want me to too." I say.

"Can they even legally do that to you?" Kie asks.

"I have no idea." I say.

"Oh! I got one." Kie says.

"Ok, hit me with it." I say.

"I'll actually do chores!" Kie says. We both burst out laughing.

"Hmmm, I'll be your perfect dream pretty princess daughter?" I ask. Kie starts laughing.

"Why is that so accurate?" Kie asks. We both keep laughing.

I sigh. "I'll miss the Obx." I say. "I mean, something is gonna go wrong in South America and we both know it." I say.

"Yeah." Kie says. "But I've always wanted to go to South America. Where the animals aren't as endangered because of pollution." Kie says.

"Good point." I say.

"Oh my god." Kie says. "I have the perfect one."

"Wait for real? Tell me." I say.

"I'm gonna write an essay about my experiences with the Indigenous tribes in South America." Kie says.

"And then I will use it to apply for college." I say.

"Yes!" Kie says. "Now let's go play ball." She says. We walk into her driveway. I see a van looking thing pull up. A man walks out. The van says Kitty Hawk. What the fuck?

"Hey Kiara and Ashlyn." The man says. A fucking creep? We both start walking to the house. "Hey come back, I just want to talk to you." The man says.

"Kie, run." I say. "I'll distract him." Kie goes sprinting off and the man goes to follow her but I tackle him. "Who the hell are you?!" I ask.

Another man grabs my arms and pins then behind my back.

"I'm sorry Ash, they say that Kitty Hawk is the best." Kie's mom says. "Where's Kie?" She asks.

"She ran. I told her to run and she did. You'll never get her." I say.

"We're just trying to help you." She says. "You're just going to go away for a while."

"Listen, Anna, I can't do this right now!" I yell. "Kie! If you're still close!! Run and don't come back!!! I'll find you guys!!" I yell. Then the two men shove me into the car. My heartbeats increases and I start to bang on the window. "What the fuck?!!?!?" I scream. My knuckles start to bleed and then the man stops the car and grabs a needle and a syringe.

"Calm down." The man says.

"NO!!" I scream. The kick the man and he has to call in another guy. One guy pins my shoulder down while the other injects something into my neck. I start to get dizzy. "I-I want J....." Everything goes black.