71. Mike

"Rafe was on the phone with Ward." Sarah says. I immediately start to feel bad for Rafe. "He just kept saying, 'my thing. This is my thing'." Sarah says. "They had to be talking about the cross.

"He's coming into Wilmington tonight at 8 o'clock." Sarah says. "It's being shipped by train. This is our chance to get it back." She says.

"Anything else?" Pope asks.

"Cargo number." Kie says.

"We should prolly get a move on." JJ says.

"Have you heard from John B?" Pope asks.

"No." Kie says.

"He's off with my Pops." I say, my first time speaking during the whole conversation. "But they have the Twinkie." I say. JJ holds my hand to comfort me.

"I could ask my dad for the truck." Pope says.

"Yeah that's gonna go well." JJ says.

"We have no other options." Pope says. "I'll go ask him right now." He says. "See you guys later." He says.

JJ, Kiara, and I head to Kiara's house.

"Hey, um, can I stay here for a bit?" I ask. "I have some family problems going on at my house right now." I say to Kiara's mom. She's always liked me.

"Of course honey." She says. "Stay as long as you want. You've always been like a daughter to me."

"Thank you so much." I say. I hug her. She's like the mother I've never had. Then we walk inside and I see JJ leaning on the counter.

"I need to go to Wilmington for a night or two." Kie says. She explains why about the cross and stuff.

"Can you explain it one more time?" Kie's mom asks.

"The cross of Santo Domingo, that we found, we found out it's gonna be in Wilmington tonight." Kie says.

"And the cross is?" Kie's mom asks.

"Pope's family heirloom." I say. "Priceless, historical artifact."

"You're telling us that you found it?" She asks.

"Yes! And then Ward and Rafe stole it from us." Kie says.

Kie's dad starts laughing. I've always hated her dad. He's always thought that he's better than everyone else with his stupid money.

"Do you know how insane you sound?" He asks.

"Baby-" Kie's mom says.

"Dad! We've been over this part a million times!" Kie says.

"Ward Cameron is alive." I say. "It sounds ridiculous but it's true." I say. "Why would I lie about that?" I ask.

"JJ, a little help?" Kie asks.

"Wards alive in the Caribbean, living off the loot that he stole from us." JJ says. "And uh, yeah, he's bringing the cross to Wilmington."

"Give me a break, man." Kie's dad says.

"What do I know? I just saw it with my own two eyes." JJ says.

"I'm skeptical." Kie's dad says. "I think it's all bullshit." He says. "You, JJ, Lemme tell you something-" I cut him off.

"Hey!" I yell. Mr. Carrera shuts up. "We are telling the truth. Listen, I'm thankful that you're letting me stay here to get away from my crazy ass father but we are not lying!" I yell.

"No!" He yells. "You and JJ need to listen to me. I get it." He says. "I like you JJ and I bet you're fun to hang with and to ditch school with." Mr. Carrera says. "I was once just like you, bro. I didn't think that anything mattered, that I could make up any bullshit story and those stupid Kooks would believe me." He says. "Then I learned about hard work."

"We've been working our asses off trying to get this cross." I say. "And the merchant gold." I say. "You wanna know how? Huh?" I ask. "I was shot, cut, raped, and carved into all for this cross!!" I yell. "If you want proof, I'll give it to you!" I say.

Mike Carrera rolls him eyes. "See, another bullshit story. I don't need proof because you don't have any." He says. "My daughter was a lot better off without you, JJ." Mike says. "Before she met Ashlyn and her stupid ass brother." He says. I look down, no fight left in me.

"Dad! I was never better off without them!" Kie yells. "I was miserable."

"Take it down a notch." Kie's mom says. "You guys are taking this too far."

"No!!" He yells. "These Pogues have ruined my daughters life! And her future!" He yells. I flinch at his raised voice.

"Didn't mean any disrespect, Mr. Carrera." JJ says. "Y'all have a good day." He says. "We outta here, Ash?" JJ asks.

"You head out, I'll be out in a minute."

"Everyone says that JJ is a liar and a theif." Mike says. "Just like his father." He says.

"JJ is nothing like his father!" I yell. "JJ is the sweetest guy that I've ever met. He's funny, a little crazy and stupid at times but that just his personality!" I yell. "And I love him so I know that I'm right." I say. I walk out and see JJ standing at the doorway. I hear Mr. Carrera still talking to Kiara.

"Ashlyn is just as much as a selfish, delusional, freak just like her father." He says.

"Ashlyn is my best friend!" Kie yells. "She's not like her dad at all! Sure, she hunts treasure, but so do the rest of us!" Kie yells.

JJ grabs Mike's wallet on the way out. I sniffle and so does he. We both walk out in silence. JJ gets on the dirt bike first and I get on after him. Then Kie gets on last.

"Guys, my dad is literally the worst." Kie says.

"You haven't met mine lately, Kie." I say. I lean my head on the back of JJ's shoulder as we all ride to the Chateau.

"Ashlyn is just as much as a selfish, delusional, freak just like her father." He says.

It keeps replaying in my head. Just like my dad shooting the two guys. My life has been shit lately.