30. Parents

Later that night, we talk with Shoupe but he doesn't believe us and tells us to go home. I flip him off as we leave and grab Pope's phone and get back in Kiara's car.

I sit in the back of the car shivering from the cold.

"Do you want my hoodie?" JJ asks. "I left it here in the car so it isn't soaked."

"I don't want to get it all muddy." I say, gesturing to my mud covered body.

"It's fine." JJ says.

"You sure?" I ask.

"Of course I'm sure, cupcake." He says. He puts his hoodie on me and we drive back to the Chateau.

I get a shower and then I lay on John B's bed with JJ. I can't seem to fall asleep.

"Can't you sleep?" JJ asks.

"No." I say. "I've had trouble for the last few days."

"How about another back massage?" JJ asks.

"Yes, please." I say. "You're so good at that."

JJ massages my back and I eventually fall asleep next to him.

I'm sitting in Mr. Sunn's class with Pope, JJ, and Kiara.

Some guy opens the door. "Mr. Sunn, can I borrow Pope for a minute?" He asks.

"We're in the middle of a test right now." Mr. Sunn says.

"I'm from the Vanderhorst Foundation." He says.

I look over at JJ. "What the hell is the Vanderhorst Foundation?" I ask.

"More like the Vanderwhore foundation." JJ laughs and so do I.

"Mr. Heyward." Mr. Sunn says. Pope gets up and follows the man outside the classroom.

Pope walks back in a few minutes later and shows us the envelope. It has the wheat symbol on it. The sign for the merchant gold.

"What the f-f-f fuuudge." JJ says. Mr. Sunn gives him a look and I start laughing but he gives me a look too.

"Sorry. My bad." I say. I continue taking my test. When the bell rings, we go to the library.

"Am I gonna have to beat you with your protractor? What's going on?" JJ asks. The librarian shushes him.

"Seriously Pope. You are driving me insane." Kiara says.

"Okay that guy was from the the scholarship committee." Pope says.

"I though he was from the vanderwhore foundation." I say. JJ laughs.

"Take a look at this." Pope says, ignoring me. He gives it to JJ. "Read it."

"Out loud." Kie says.

"I can't read cursive." JJ says. He hands it to me.

"Me neither." I say. I hand it to Kiara.

"Are you two serious?" She asks.

"Yep." I say. JJ nods.

Kiara starts reading. "Dear Mr. Heyward, I am reaching out because I have material evidence that can exonerate John B Routledge." Kie says.

"What?!" I ask. I don't whisper so the librarian shushes me.

"It is of vital importance that you come meet with me in person." Kie says. "At my offices at 27 King Street, Charleston at 8:00 pm sharp tonight." Kiara says. "Please come alone. Regards, C. Limbrey."

"That sounds sketchy as fuck." I say. "And Charleston?"

"It's like an eight hour drive." Pope says. "Plus the ferry." He says.

"We'd have to leave right now." JJ says. "What does material evidence even mean?" JJ asks.

"I means they can clear John B." Kie says.

"Well let's go then." I say. "I want my brother back here as soon as possible."

"I agree." JJ says. "I need my best friend."

"I gotta tell my Mom." Kie says.

"Guys. Limbrey. A last name of the captain on the Royal merchant." Pope says.

JJ, Pope, and I drive Kie to her house and we wait in the car for her. I can hear her parents and her yelling at each other.

She starts walking to the car. I step out of the car. "Nice to see you guys, Mr. And Mrs. Carrera." I say. Kie gets in the truck and I get in next to JJ.

Pope peeks his head out the window. "Hi, uh, ma'am, sir. I promise to have her back at a reasonable hour and safe." Pope says. I laugh.

"Pope you sound like the goody good boyfriend that hasn't seen the principles office ever." I say. JJ chuckles.

"Y'all have a good day." JJ says.

"This shit would be so much easier without parents." Kie says.

"Jokes on you Kie. I don't have any." I laugh. Everyone gives me a sad look. "What? I'm not allowed to make parent jokes?"