37. Shoot

We pull up to get some beer but I stay in the boat with Sarah, JB, and Pope while JJ and Kie grab the beers. I am sitting on the edge of the boat next to JB.

"You love him, don't you?" JB asks me. "JJ."

"Yeah. I do." I say. "I just don't know where or when to tell him."

"I thought you already did. When you guys fought." JB says.

"I did but he never told me back." I say. "The only time he told me was when he was super drunk so he doesn't remember."

"He loves you Ashie. He's loved you ever since you met." JB says. "He told me himself."

I smile to myself. "I love him too."

Kie and JJ get back on the boat. "We have the beer!" Kie says.

We all hang out, talk, and party on the boat. Then, we go for a swim together outside my house. Since my mind is off of my calf, I try to ignore the pain.

I jump off the dock into the water and I splash JJ. He laughs and splashes water all over me.

I get on Kiara's shoulders and we do a chicken fight against JJ and JB. JJ is on JB's shoulders so I'm fighting him.

We grab each others arms and try to shove each other. After a few seconds, I take a second to rest but JJ shoves me but I grab onto him so we both go tumbling into the water.

We rise to the top and look at each other and kiss. We smile at each other. JJ laughs.

"What?" I ask.

"Your hair is a mess." He says, laughing. I grab onto him and mess up his hair with my hand. We both start laughing.

Later that night, we all hang out in the backyard and in the hot tub. Kiara and Pope take the boat to probably go fuck somewhere. We are laughing in the hot tub together but then JB suddenly gets quiet.

"JB, you okay?" I ask.

"I think I just heard a car door." JB says. I get up and limp over to the corner of the house and see Rafe's car.

"Shit, its Rafe." I say. My breathing increases and JJ grabs my hand, sensing my fear. He helps me to the tree where Sarah and John B are hiding. JJ puts me on his back and he climbs into the tree with me. I lean against the trunk while my feet rest on a branch. I am shaking but I'm trying to keep my breathing quiet.

"Look at that, Rafe!" Barry says. "You're sister's a Pogue for life."

Rafe looks at the memorial on the tree and he smiles. But an evil smile. He pulls out his gun and starts shooting the tree. He starts shooting the gun in the air and a bullet hits the branch right by JJ's face. My heart rate keeps climbing and I close my eyes.

The two drive away a few minutes later and then JJ rushes over to me. "Ash, they're gone." JJ says. "Open your eyes." I open my tear filled eyes. JJ hugs me and helps me down. Then he helps me walk inside and we lay in my bed together. Sarah and JB are in JB's bed.

After a few minutes, I can't sleep. I can't stop thinking about what Rafe would do if he came back. JJ is laying next to me.

"Do you want me to massage your back?" JJ asks.

"No, because what if he comes back while we're sleeping?" I ask.

"I'll protect you princess." JJ says. "I'm staying awake. But you can sleep."

"But, w-what if you get shot?" I ask.

"Ash, baby, Rafe won't come back tonight." JJ says. "Ok? You're safe here with me. Je t'aime" He says. I still don't know what it means. But this is the second time that he's said it.

JJ wraps his arms around me and stays awake. No matter what JJ said, I still can't sleep.