69. Selfish

"So, where we stopping?" I ask.

"Your history teachers house, Mr. Sunn." Pops says. "He had the original diary and then vanished."

We all get out of the Twinkie and Pops peeks in the window.

"Oh well, nobody's home so we should prolly get outta here." JB says.

"Wait, let's have some fun and take a look around." He says.

"Have some fun?" I ask. Then we walk to his porch and Pops picks the lock.

"Wow, a little breaking and entering with my Pops." JB says. "Add it to the list of felonies." He says.

We all walk inside Mr. Sunn's house. "Mr. Sunn?" I ask. We all start looking for the diary. I walk into a bedroom and see an envelope. I pick it up and take a notebook out of it. Then someone hits me in the back of the shoulder with a metal pipe. I yell in pain and fall to the ground.

"Ashlyn!" Pops yells. He runs towards me but is attacked as well. I hear John B help my Pops out. I stand up but the guy slams my face into a window and I fall onto the bathroom floor. I see Mr. Sunn tied up.

"Oh, hey Mr. Sunn." I say. Then the guy picks me up and starts choking me with the pipe. I am pinned against a wall and then shoved to the ground next to JB. A guy aims a gun at me and I feel blood dripping from my head.

The guy shows us the diary. "Is this what you're looking for?" He asks. "Too late." He says.

I start getting up. "John B, you alright, kid?" Pops asks. JB nods and then gets up and helps me up.

"You good Ashie?" JB asks.

"Just a little blood." I say. "I've been through worse." I say. I go run to the bathroom and help
Mr. Sunn.

"Ash, what the hell?" Mr. Sunn asks.

"You okay?" I ask. I help him onto the couch.

"I came out of hiding and those two gentlemen found me." Mr. Sunn says. JB walks over and helps untie him. Then my Pops runs in.

"Is that the diary that they took?!" He asks, yelling. Mr. Sunn nods and then looks at JB and I. "Let's go John B and Ash!" He yells. JB helps me up.

"Oh umm, by Mr. Sunn!" I yell. "I look forward to your class everyday!" I yell, running out the door.

We all get in the Twinkie. John B is driving and he's speeding. We have to get to the bay to catch the thieves.

"Really? Breaking on the turns?" Pops asks.

"Are you seriously critiquing my driving right now?" JB asks.

"I thought I taught you better than this!" Pops says. The. JB nods.

"Okay Pops." He says. He starts going faster around the turns. We almost hit a car.

"Holy fucking shit!" I yell. "Please don't kill us!" I yell. I look out the window and see the boat with the guys on it.

"There they are!" Pops yells. Then the boat goes under the bridge.

"We're never gonna get the diary now!" Pops yells. I swear, he never stops yelling. Then John B turns onto the grass and we all hop out and hop on a jet ski. JB drives and I'm behind him. Big John is on the back and we start going fast on the bay.

We start catching up to the boat. I wonder what JJ is doing right now. "We're getting closer!" I yell. Then the boat stops and we stop.

"Hey! We just wanna talk!" Pops says. I have a bad feeling about this already. "John B and Ash, show them your hands unless you wanna get shot." Pops says.

"What? Get fucking shot?!" I ask.

"You were shot before, you'll be fine." Pops says.

"Yeah, by Mrs. Crain's ancient ass shotgun." I say. Then Big John stands up.

"Hello!" He says. What the hell is he doing? "I just want to talk to you for a moment! We're unarmed!" He says. Then he starts talking about some random shit.

"You got 30 seconds. Talk." The guy says.

My Pops tells them how the Diary leads to the city of gold and millions of dollars.

"Who are you?" The other guy asks.

"Big John Routledge." Pops says.

"You're the treasure hunter?" The guy asks.

"We could work together for a mutual benefit." Pops says.

Now, knowing my Pops, and how he's been acting so far, he's in his selfish bitch mood. Actually, he's always a selfish bitch.

I see the two guys talk, I don't have a good feeling about this.

"Yeah! Just pull up here!" A guy says. JB starts driving towards the boat and a guy points a gun at JB and I. JB ties the jet ski to the boat. Then I see a guy point a gun at JB and I's face.

I glance over at my Pops and he shoots the guy. My jaw drops. Then he shoots the other guy and he yells in pain.

My father just shot two guys in the middle of the fucking bay!!!!!! What the fuck?!

I look at the blood coming from one guys stomach. He's dying. My eyes go wide and I look at my Pops, a murderer.

The one guy struggles on the boat and my Pops aims the pistol at him.

"D-dad." JB says. I can see tears in his eyes. Then my Pops shoots the guy and I look away. So does John B. I am shaking and John B is shaking.

"I had no choice. They were gonna shoot you." Pops says. I watch him take the bodies and just drop them into the water. I'm shocked. These guys probably have families that won't know what happened to them.

Later, Pops sinks the boat and then we ride back to the Chateau. I'm silent the whole ride along with JB. I just watched my own father shoot and kill two guys. Maybe my own father is worse than Rafe.