68. Pops

That night, the we arrive back in the Outer Banks. We drop Sarah off at the Chateau and I go with JJ to his house. We both walk up the stairs to his door but there's a paper that says, "Eviction Notice" JJ looks like he's about to cry but he tries to open the door but it's locked.

I walk over to the window and I break it with an old piece of metal that I found in the yard. JJ and I climb in and I sit on the couch. Tears fall down JJ's eyes and he looks mad. He starts kicking things around in anger.

I walk over to JJ and hug him. At first, he tries to shove me off of him but I don't budge. Then, he gives up and hugs me back as he cries into my shoulder.

"I-I miss him, Ash." He says. "I hate him but I miss him."

I rub his back and we both sit down on the couch. JJ cries into my shoulder as I comfort him. I shed a few tears myself and JJ cracks open two beers that have been sitting on the table. We both drink them and then fall asleep in each others arms.

—————————————————————————

I'm behind the police department, just like I was about a year ago.

"Call me a dirty liar again and your dad will be known as the town dumbass." A cop says, in an alleyway. "I could put him in the slammer if I really wanted to."

I rush and punch the cop in the face. We get in a huge fight and he pins me to the ground. Then I notice it, it's the same cop that raped me about a year ago. But wait, why isn't he dead? The cop looks me in the eye and rapes me. I did it for my father, to try to defend him and show him that I'm worth it too.

I wake up on JJ's couch, screaming. I'm soaked in a cold sweat and I'm hyperventilating. I see JJ wake up next to me and he immediately knows what's wrong. He wraps his arms around me and I break down in his arms.

"Another one?" He asks. I nod.

"This time it was about the cop." I say. I start crying again while JJ rubs circles on my back. Eventually I calm down.

"Wanna head to the Chateau to see if your brother is there?" JJ asks, in a soft voice. I nod. "I need to do some things so I'll just drop you off." He says.

I get changed into one of JJ's t-shirts and a pair of my own jean shorts that I must've left here. JJ gets changed too.

"A new set of clothes feels so good." JJ says, holding my hand as we walk over to his dirt bike.

"Agreed." I say. JJ gets on the bike and I get on behind him and wrap my arms around his waist.

"You ready, cupcake?" He asks.

"I sure am." I say, smiling at my blond boyfriend. Then he turns on the bike and starts driving to my house. I rest my head on the back of his shoulder as my arms are wrapped around his waist. I hope JB is there.

We pull up to the Chateau and I hop off of the bike. "Ok J, see you later." I say. I kiss him on the cheek and he kisses me back.

"See you later, Princess." JJ says. He drives away.

I walk to the back of the Chateau and into the back porch. I see JB sitting down, looking worried.

"Holy shit." I say. I go hug JB. "You scared the fuck out of me!!" I yell. I hug him tighter. "But I'm glad you're not dead." I say.

JB hugs me too. "Ash, you won't believe it." He says.

"What?" I ask.

"Pops is alive." He says. "He disappeared this morning and Sarah left a few minutes ago but Ash, he's alive!!" He says. He hugs me with excitement.

"Wait, are you being serious?" I ask. JB better not be lying or delusional. I need to see my Pops.

Then the Twinkie pulls up and Big John steps out of the van.

"See?" JB asks me.

"Holy shit!" I yell.

"Hey Ash!" My Pops says. I run and hug him.

"You're actually alive!!" I yell. "P-Pops, I thought you were dead." I say, tearing up.

"It's a long story but we gotta go." He says. "The diary was a wet pile of mud. The window was open."

"Well JB and I didn't plan on being gone for a month." I say.

"Yeah, that diary's done." He says. "But I got a plan B." Pops says. "Get in the Twinkie." He says. JB and I both get into the Twinkie. JB leaves a note for Sarah and JJ.

"So, Ash, how have you been?" My Pops asks.

"Interesting." I say. "Action packed." I say. "I was shot by an old woman and got a giant cut from an old fence." I say.

"That's my girl. Strong just like her dad." Big John says.

"Yeah I guess." I say.

"Anyone special?" My Pops asks. "Any boys?" He asks.

"Yes actually." I say.

"Really? Who?" He asks.

"JJ." I say.

"Good pick there." He says. "JJ is a good kid. Not like his father."

"Yeah." I say. The JB starts talking.

"Ok, just to be clear, we aren't keeping anything from anyone." JB says. "No secrets." He says.

"You lost the gold, right?" My Pops asks. "To her father."

"Sarah is nothing like her father." JB says.

"And the cross to her brother." Pops says.

I start talking because Rafe is now in the conversation. "Again, Sarah is nothing like Rafe. Or Ward." I say. "Absolutely the opposite of Rafe." I say.

"Its better to keep intel on a need to know basis." Big John says. I roll my eyes. He's still after that god damn gold. "I learned that the hard way. You both know it." Pops says. "Bird and Ash, it's just us three, ok?" He asks.

I nod and John B nods. I'm telling JJ all about this when we get back. My Pops can be a selfish bitch at times.