Chapter 44

How long have they been there with their bodies locked to each other? Hours? Minutes? Seconds even? Time felt foreign to them. It's like it had stopped but at the same time it was going so fast.

"Stain was right." Hina whispered, her voice breaking a little from the crying as her tears still rolled down her face, the strong air of the sea drying them fast.

"You showed your true colors?" Dabi says, his voice half muffled from having his face hidden in her neck.

"No," She pushes him lightly signaling him to look at her. "But you did."

He chuckles, getting their forehead's into contact. "I did? I wasn't the one at the verge of death, though."

"I was."

"What are you implying?" A light smirk forms on his lips. "Careful with your words; you said something earlier that might-"

"What I said was stupid and I'm sorry about it." She cuts him off.

"You, apologizing?" He scoffs. "That's new."

"I'm full of surprises, aren't I?" She says, admiring those beautiful eyes. Those eyes she can now be completely sure of. The ocean in them, the sky, his fire; she can see them once again without having any doubts of whose oceans, skies and fires she's looking. The question from before still remains, though. "Why did you lie, Toya?"

"Do me a favor and don't call me Toya." He answers almost immediately. "He's dead. And that is exactly why I lied. I wanted him to stay dead."

"Even if it hurt me?" She says with longing eyes.

He took a deep breath in, looking away and breaking their contact from their eyes and touch. "That's dirty."

"I learned from the best." She smiles.

"Fair enough."

Dabi wanted his past to be forgotten; dead. Letting Medea—no, Hina—stay in the dark wasn't easy for him.

When he joined the LoV, she was already there. They had been apart for almost three years but she was still the same. He instantly recognized her but she didn't. At first he believed it was because of his appearance, but as time passed, he realized Hina didn't have a clue of who he was.

She's not stupid, she would recognize him in a second but since she never did, something was definetely off.

He kept a close eye on her all the time, trying to figure out what was wrong with her. Until she finally told him everything last time they were at this port. He wanted to tell her but at the same time, he wanted to erase every bit of his past.

After his "accident," he was in a coma for three years and after trying going back home, he saw that his family had already forgotten about him. What was the point of telling Hina who he is?

That was what he thought back then. When he saw her full in tears, knowing Toya Todoroki was the one responsible for that, he started questioning his decision. It was indeed early to reveal everything but...

"I should've noticed it earlier." She hugs him again, locking her arms around his neck. "It's the same as before."

"What is?"

"The warmth."

***

"Toya?" Hina spoke with worry when she saw her friend looking exhausted as ever. "Come here, lay down."

"I'm fine." He said, waving his hand. "Don't worry about me."

"And who am I supposed to worry about if it's not you? Lay down right now." She throws his arm over her shoulder, helping him walk to the uncomfortable bed. "There."