Chapter 49

This definitely isn't the conversation I was planning to have until ten minutes ago. There goes the practice I had in my brain for the past two days.

Ever since my father left thinking I'm in a relationship with Hawks—or Keigo, I need to get used to it now—I've been doing a lot of thinking. There were, of course, other times I have sat down and given it a five minute thought, but my mother was there too and I had to explain to her that he and I are just friends.

But for some reason, I felt bad when I said that. I'm not sure why but it's like I wasn't telling her the whole truth and I hate keeping things from her. I wasn't planning to have three days off like "my boss" told me to, I just needed some time to tell my mom everything and figure out a way to talk to him.

I know what I'm feeling. I know what he's feeling and he knows it as well.

I only wanted to know why. Why is it everytime we get just a tad closer to each other—metaphorically and literally—he just pushes me away? Why is he afraid to let whatever his feelings are free?

Even if I'm wrong and it's not what I think it is, why won't he say it? He doesn't reject me but doesn't let me get closer to his life either.

I never pushed him to tell me anything about his life unless he wanted to. But he never shared a single detail with me and I know he lied about Y/n when he told me about her. I'm not stupid enough to believe their parents were divorced and he ran away and waited till he could take her to his care or some shit.

And now here we are. He's on the floor with a bruise on his cheek because his sister, Hina, punched the hell out of him because apparently he killed a little boy years ago, which for some weird reason, I'm taking very calmly.

Definitely not how I expected things to go.

I walk to him and grab his arm to help him get up while eyeing the wound on his face. "Yeah, that's gonna leave a mark."

"I don't care." He gently pushed my hand which was touching his cheek.

"I'm out of here," She walks to the exit but I reach for her arm to stop her. "What?"

"Give me five minutes and I'll prove to you and you," I point to Y/n, who has been silent the whole time and looks just as shocked from all of this. "That he's not guilty."

He turns my head to face me. "What are you doing?"

"Unless there is more to the story, from what I heard, you didn't do anything."

Hina pulls her arm back abruptly and comes close to me clearly angry with what I just said. "Are you stupid or deaf?"

"Hina!"

"Sit down, my hero," I push him towards the couch and go for Hina's arm again. "You too, just let me explain."

This is not because he's my boss. Not because he helped me two years ago and I'm returning the favor. Not because he's someone I care about. But because I've learned to deal with every situation I face calmly and speculate every detail in it.

In the story he just narrated, he's not the villain.

"Let me ask some questions," I stand in front of them and I look at the man who has a what-are-you-doing face. "Hawks, how old were you when this happened?"

"Twelve," He answers, blinking at me like what I'm trying to do right now doesn't make any sense. "She was eleven, she was six and Touya was fourteen." I'm pretty sure he's giving me more details to try and understand how the hell he is innocent. That's my smartass boss.

"So, you were all kids," I say, trying to say my point is obvious. "Okay, next question. What was his quirk?"

"Fire." Hina answers with a low voice as she starts at the floor. She is maybe remembering that night. "His body couldn't control it after some point and so he burned himself alive."