Hospital

Nat's POV:

I park my car in the middle of the police's cars in the hospital's entrance, not giving 2 shots about it. I need to see him. Steve just called, telling me Fury was shot and it didn't look good.

I get in the building, still working on believing that someone succeeded in their attempt to hurt Nick Fury.

I don't even need to get to the receptionist that she caught on who I'm coming for. 2nd floor, block 4. I run up the stairs -the elevator would be too slow for me, I need to move- this man was completely fine 10 hours ago ,better he told me he'd be careful!

I burst in the section of the building I've been indicated to see S.H.I.E.L.D. agents now instead of policemen and the look on their face tells me they recognized me too. "Where can i see him?" I lowly order to none of them in particular.

One of the guy fearfully points a door and I directly walk into the room where I see Steve looking at the operation by a huge window -Probably made for medicine students- and Hill farther in the room making some call I couldn't care less of.

I stop myself millimeters away from the window, right next to Steve and once I more specifically see what's on the other side of the glass, it just now hits me that Nick Fury may die tonight.

"Is he gonna make it?" The words rush out of my mouth hoping for an answer that'll make me feel better.

"I don't know" Is Rogers' worried answer, not helping me in the slightest.

The longer I look at my friend in this state, the more it hurts.But I can't look away, it would be letting him down so I focus on something that'll make me feel better "Tell me about the shooter." This person whoever  they are will have to deal with me for doing this.

"He's fast, strong... had a metal arm." The man slowly adds, his eyes just as focused on my friend's vulnerable body as mine. Could this be him?

Maria joins our side at the same moment and I take the opportunity to confirm my doubts "Ballistics?" I request

"3 slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable" She describes getting in the same state both Super-Soldiers to her right are.

"Soviet-made." I instantly deduce out loud, with my given informations.

"Yeah." She answers, snapping out of the trance the 3 of us were in, to look at me. She's about to question me, but beeping from the other side of the glass refrains her.

Action quickens in the surgery room and I may not be a doctor, but I know enough to internally panic at the word 'defibrillator'. They're losing him while I can't lose him. "Don't do this to me, Nick" I beg for once not caring if my voice breaks.

Because if I lose this man, my boss, my friend, savior and the closest thing to a good parental figure I'll ever have. Losing him after already losing too much...This time it's not my voice that will break, it's me. No. I can't lose Nick.

So I look at the doctors, feeling weak, helpless. Hoping for a fucking miracle and all that hope stopped living when they called the time of death. Nicholas Joseph Fury  died at 1:03 in the morning and a part of me followed him.

I just stared at my friend's corpse, not even crying. My mind is unable to let go of the only other thing I can manage to think about; the Winter Soldier will pay.

Eventually, they took him off the surgery table, but I bargained enough to have some alone time with him. I said my goodbyes to Nick Fury. It almost made me chuckle, I never thought I'd live long enough for that, but here I am.

For some reason Steve looked at me the whole time. He was with Fury when it happened, and where else would the famous Captai America be around midnight, other than his appartement?