Jealousy

Nat's POV:

After that, my girlfriend and I go back on the floor where everyone is to hang out, simply.

So we walk to the couches, Y/N's left arm around my neck and my right one 'round her waist. Once there, Banner and Stark are already working on the scepter. These 2 never stop, it's insane, I'm starting to question if they even sleep.

As we sit, cuddled on another of the tower's leather couch, I look up at her stunning face and see a frown etched on it. "Are you okay?"

"I'm just fine baby, don't worry." She brushes off, kissing the top of my head. This wasn't convincing in the slightest.

"Okay, you gotta tell me now." I insist.

She sighs. "I'm just worried about the 2 mad scientists." I turn my head back to the lab, where she's also looking, and see that Bruce and Tony do seem in a pretty deep conversation.

"We have to trust them. They know more about what they're doing than we ever will." I reassure, kissing the back of her hand softly, if only I could do this every second of my life.

"I know. It's just- I have a bad feeling about this." Is she talking about her pow- "They're both stressed about the scepter, nothing new. But there's something else I can't pin and it makes me feel like it isn't good news." Instincts and powers, got it. "Banner is particularly anxious."

"Did it cross that stunning mind of yours that the cause of this uncertainty about the guys might be 'cause you're biased?" She pulls away from our comfortable cuddling position to get a better look at me. It makes me notice, with her facial expression, that she doesn't get my point. "Your opinion on Bruce, it makes you partial, darling."

She rolls her eyes. "Can we not talk about him? It always makes me angry and I really don't feel like it right now."

"I don't understand what annoys you so much about him. I wanna understand once and for all." I push a little, this isn't going to solve itself if we never mention it.

I'm not oblivious, I know his drunken flirting makes her jealous, and she has every right to be, but why only his flirting? Maria still flirts with me from time to time and it doesn't even get a reaction out of her.

"Because he flirts so much it's like he doesn't care if you like him back anymore. He's just flirting to- to quench some flirting with you thirst and it's practically disrespectful at this point." Anger is already taking a hold of her. He doesn't flirt that much, she's exaggerating.

"I'm sorry it makes you feel like that, sweetheart." I say, trying to stay calm and neutral m, we can't start screaming at each other in the middle of the compound. "But what do you want me to do about it!? It's not like I'm flirting back, you just said so!"

"Tell him you don't pity him for a one sided crush, that it happens to everyone! Every goddamn time he says something, you're almost apologizing for not liking him back, like you are the one doing something wrong!"

"The situation's not that simple, Y/N! I'd like to see you at it." I argue dryly, slowly losing my patience. What if she had to reject a friend of hers she felt like she led on, a friend who feels bad for liking her in the first place.

"Alright. Next time he flirts with you, I'll go off to a random chick I don't find nearly as magnificent as yourself and let her flirt with you me, never flirting back, but never pushing her away. Then, we'll see if jealousy doesn't eat you alive." She replies bitterly.

I'm about to answer more vehemently, but a throat clearing interrupts our heated conversation. It doesn't change a single thing. She better not.

Once I turn my head towards the sound to see who made it, I realize it's Steve. "Rogers." I greet, my tone radically changing from the one I had seconds ago.