Standing Up For What Is Right

Y/N's POV:

We arrived in Washington in the beginning of the evening and booked ourselves a room in the first motel we found, paying cash obviously, and ate pizza while having fun in our room. In that time, Fury also called us for a meeting tomorrow.

As i went to sleep my thoughts went a bit wild, though.

I have an hearing that could ruin my life in less than 24 hours, but I've never been more serene in my whole life. Because we both forgave each other and ourselves for what happened, and on top of that, I get to be with the woman I love for the rest of my life. And none of the idiots I'll meet tomorrow can take that away from me.

The next morning, Nat and I both got dressed properly for the occasion, Nat put on a stunning black blazer along with a black skirt, as I went for a black jumpsuit. I could've sworn I heard Nat mumble 'mine' after I got changed, sending shivers through my spine.

We arrived in the building earlier than needed, yet we were still met with a countless number of journalists taking pictures of us, more annoyingly, it doesn't stop when the hearing starts. What is so interesting to people in what's happening? What's the use to see us put our hand on a bible while we 'solemnly swear to the tell the truth, the whole through, and bla bla bla?'. It happens every time there are trials or earrings, move on!

"Why haven't we yet heard from Captain Rogers?" Is the first question of the committee, they aren't wasting any time, I see.

"I don't know what there is left for him to say. I think the wreck in the middle of the Potomac made his point faulty eloquently." Nat replies right back.

"Well he could explain how this country is expected to maintain its national security now that he and the 2 of you have laid waste to our intelligence apparatus." The idiotic old white man insists.

"And let's not forget the partly destructed New York Police Département." Another one adds, my jaw clenching on its own.

"HYDRA was selling you lied, not intelligence. In both agencies." My girlfriend defends.

"Many of which you seemed to have had a personal hand in telling." The committee emmener counters.

"Agents, you should know that there are some on this committee who feel, given your services records, both for this country and against it, that you belong in a penitentiary. Not mouthing off on Capitol Hill." A dumbass threatens.

That's it. He ran my patience short. I abruptly stand up, all eyes now looking at me. "I'm sorry, you're telling me I've been representing this country's police forces for almost a decade. A country that isn't mine, I shall remind. I helped to save the world 3 times in the last 4 years and it isn't enough to forgive me my record against this country? That's what you're implying?" I say incredulously, on the verge of anger.

"We didn't make you do any of those crimes." The man denies, implying that trying to make up for my crimes doesn't make me less accountable for them.

"You're right, HYDRA did. It's even written in the file you're currently using against me. But isn't HYDRA something part of all those agencies, this country owns?" I spit back.

"She's right." Nat chimes in. "You can't put her in a prison. Like you're not going to put me or any of us in a prison. You know why?" Nat takes the lead once again.

"Do enlighten us." The man says practically admitting he lost. What come back could possibly make him win?

"Because you need us. Yes, the world is a vulnerable place, and yes, we help make it that way. But we're also the ones best qualified to defend it. So if you want to arrest us, arrest us. You'll know where to find us." After the masterpiece of a mini-speech Nat just gave, she waits a few seconds, giving them a chance to reply, while giving me the opportunity to watch the members' faces decompose slowly as they realize she verbally kicked their asses.