Chapter 37

Warning: character death.
______________________________
Mikuni was frozen. Tears slid down his face. All he could do was stand there.

But right now he was wishing for death.

"MISONO!" He yelled as he stumbled over the rubble and into the armory.

Misono had been thrown back when the wall came crashing down.

And he has landed on some spikes that were coming out of the wall. One pieced his right side while another went straight through his stomach.

Mikuni ran forward to help him down and was joined several seconds later by Sakuya and Mahiru. Together they helped Misono down. Mikuni held his little brother in his arms. At that point he didn't care if blood got on his clothes.

"......Mikuni?" Misono managed to say.

"Shh. Misono. I'm right here. Everything will be okay!" Mikuni assured the younger one. But deep down Mikuni knew that, that was a lie. He quickly turned to Mahiru. "Could Junichiro help him?"

Mahiru leaning on Sakuya for support glanced over the injured one's wounds. "He may, if we get to him in time. But I doubt we will."

Sakuya hesitated as if he knew what he was about to say was a bad idea, but he decided to say it anyway. What was the worst that could happen? "Mikuni, we have to leave Misono here."

Mikuni's face exploded in shock and anger. "We can still help him. I can't believe you would say that Sakuya!"

Sakuya sighed. "Look I don't want to either but what other choice do we have? It'll be a struggle for us to escape this place. But it'll be harder if we take Misono with us in his condition."

".......Sakuya is right. I'll be fine. I have the.... reincarnation tattoo. I'll be... Fine." Misono said as blood started to come out his mouth.

"It's true we shouldn't take you. But that doesn't mean you should be alone in your final moments, Misono. We'll stay here till the end. And with your injuries that shouldn't be long." Mahiru said as he began crying.

Mikuni sat down, leaning against a nearby walk and laid Misono across him lap.

"We'll give you two some privacy." Sakuya said, more of a suggestion than a fact. Him and the blonde knew of the relationship between Misono and Mahiru. They also knew that Mahiru would most likely refuse to leave, but Misono would not want to let him stay. "Mahiru? Did you hear me?" Sakuya placed a hand on his friend's shoulder when he didn't reply.

Mahiru blinked out of his trance, but refused to look up. "Yes. I heard you." Mahiru said emotionlessly as he turned around to leave.

".....Mahiru. Wait a moment." Misono called.

"What is it?" Mahiru asked, not turning around.

"I'm going to say the say thing you told me all those years ago back in training. 'Worst feeling in the world is knowing you did the best you could and it still wasn't good enough'." Misono with a slight smile on his face.

Mahiru paused and then he suddenly turned around. And before Mikuni and Sakuya could blink, the brunette was in his hands and knees beside Mikuni and leaning down capturing Misono's lips.

Misono closed his eyes as he melted into the kiss. The last kiss he would have with him. Misono didn't need words to understand how Mahiru felt. Now he didn't regret last night. But apart of him wished that Lily was here instead.

Tears splashed into Misono's face. "I'm so sorry Misono."

Misono smiled, raising an arm up and placing a hand on Mahiru's cheek. "My fate is my own. There is no need for you to feel responsible. I'm sure that what's become of me was a result of something I wanted. You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. Have the courage...to leave...and strength to not look back. It's...too late for me to turn back. Go Mahiru."