Chapter 39

The smoke was everywhere. Around her and in her lungs as she breathed it in. Still Alex ran.

Ryusei ran.

Kouki ran.

And so did Lucky.

They had gotten separated from the others. They had met some very unhappy agents along the way and had been pushed down to the lower levels where the fire was the worst.

Several ways to get back up were blocked with flames. But Alex had knowledge that no one else did besides Misono who had told her. Of a secret hallway that led to the floor below the ground floor. And he had told her how to get there.

"How much further?" Kouki yelled.

Alex stopped and started running her hands along a wall, feeling the bricks. "There is a brick here that opens the hallway...." Alex trailed off as she got into a coughing fit from the smoke.

"Alex are you okay?" Lucky yelled.

"Yes....I'm fine! Just keep searching!" She yelled back. Alex sighed. She still had no idea how she got into this situation. She still had no idea why she ran from home like that. 'I wonder if my parents actually looked for me.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚
Diary entry: 1907

Alex wasn't exactly my real name. It's the name I chose when I ran from home.

When I was 5 years old I dreamed of a world where I could be whoever I wanted. Be my dream job which was a fashion designer.

I tried hard during school. Made lots of friends. I was happy.

However that all changed the day I turned 13. All the happiness I had built up went out the window in an instant.

I remember that day as clear as a bell.

Dressed in a red dress with a black bow on the front, my red curly hair bouncing against my back as I skipped from the room. I was short for my age but then I didn't care. As long as I had my family I didn't want anything else.

But I learned one valuable lesson that day, and that was family won't always be around.

When I reached the landing, that's when I heard the shouting. Mum and dad were fighting again. Mum and dad fought a lot. I was pretty used to it now. I would often hide under the bed when they fought. But now I was gonna tell them some good news.

2 years ago I met this boy in school. He was so sweet and his name was Nathaniel. A year ago we fell in love. And yes he is a year older than me but as long as you love each other, age doesn't quite matter. He had asked me to move in with him. And I gladly accepted!

I was walking down the stairs when I heard the yeling from the lounge.

"You can't just let her go! I saw her sneaking out last night to see that boy down the road."

"Well, you were just leaving weren't you? You were just gonna abandon our daughter and me? I don't think so!"

That's when I heard a thud. And then crying from the lounge. Then dad emerged from the lounge dragging mum around like a rag doll. "Mum?"

Dad spotted me. "Go back to your fuckin room! I'll be dealing with you later!"

I scrambled back to my room in complete shock. Dad had never yelled at me like that before. I lay there in bed all night and didn't sleep.

The rest of the week wasn't that good either. Dad made me do all the chores in the house. There wasn't one minute that I wasn't cleaning something. Or cooking.