Carlos

Today again we went back to the same routine. Me waking up before her. She looks so peaceful while she sleeps. I kissed her cheeks and then my phone rang. Luca.

"Hello."

"Boss, I have news."

"Yes."

"Yesterday they delivered Diego's body to the Mexicans and they are not unhappy that we killed him. Above all they want to meet you. Apparently, Marco wants to mend their relationship with the Italians."

"That was unexpected."

"Yes, it is. It seems too nice to be true."

"Yes but I'll meet him because I need to know what his real intentions are. Mexicans are sneaky assholes and I'm not expecting something different from Diego's son."

"Fine then."

"When did they want to meet?"

"Any day next week."

"Cool."

He hung up and I turned to Rose to see her wide awake.

"So, the Mexicans want to meet."

"Yes."

"For what?"

"For mending our terms."

"Interesting. Oh, I forgot to tell you something. I asked zio to run a background check on Marco."

"Always thinking ahead. That's one of the things I like about you."

She smiled and gave me my morning kiss.

"Okay, get up. Today, I'm taking you out for breakfast."

"No. I'm still sleepy." And she cuddled me harder. God, I can do anything to have such mornings forever. My sweet girl.

I chuckled and wrapped my arms tightly around her body.

"I'd love to stay in bed all day with you but we have to work. And we need to eat, baby. You can't skip breakfast."

"Okay, fine, daddy. I'll wake up."

"I can get used that."

"What?"

"You calling me daddy." She softly slapped my chest and hid her face. Cute.

We finally got up and get freshened up to leave. We reached at a small diner.

"A diner?"

"Why, you don't like it?"

"No, I love it. But it doesn't suits you. The Don of the Italian Mafia in a simple diner!"

"Why, the Don can't come to a diner!"

"I didn't mean like that."

She got all worked up but I cupped her face to calm her down.

"It's okay. I understand what you're saying. This diner makes the best food and Dad used to bring all three of us whenever we used to whine to eat outside."

She chuckled, "Sounds like your dad."

"Yes. So, now my little assassin can go into the diner?"

"Sshh.... Don't give away my mystery, Don."

I laughed and pulled her into the diner. We took my favourite spot in the diner. One of the waiters gave us the menu to choose our breakfast.

"What do you want to order?"

"Since this is your childhood favourite place, I'll go with your recommendations."

"Fine. I love their Ricotta pancakes and cloud eggs. The taste is just perfect here."

"Then Ricotta pancakes and cloud eggs it is."

I ordered our breakfast while she was seeping in the ambience of the diner. It was small but cozy just like how my little assassin likes.

"Carl, why didn't your father took you guys to some five star restaurants for dining out? It's not that you guys don't have the money. Above all the Italian mafia owns almost all the expensive restaurants of Italy."

I smiled at her,"To keep us down to earth, mia cara. Money and power are dangerous things. It can do weird shit with your head. And since we belong to the Italian mafia, normalcy was not something which was often offered to us. So, dad used to do his best to give us the childhood that every other children used to experience. These simple things always values more to me than any luxuries."

She stared at me without giving off any expressions. After few seconds she just placed her hand over mine and squeezed.

"Now I can understand clearly why you are so amazing."

"You had a doubt about that?"

She chuckled, "No. I didn't had any doubt."

Our breakfast were served after a while. The aroma of the food took me back to my childhood. But then something brought me back to the reality. She moaned.

"Carl, you were absolutely right? The food is amazing."

"I can tell that from your moans but don't try to continue doing that or else I'll forget about our surroundings."

Her cheeks flushed red. Gosh, she looks gorgeous whenever she's shy.

"What are your plans for today?"

"I've to go to the university. There's a meeting I've to attend."

"Okay. By the way I'll be a little late today."

"Me too."

"Okay."

Again she started her stare game. Every time she does that, it seems like she's trying to crack a code of a vault.

"What?"

"No questions?"

"About what?"

"About me being late?"

"Do you want me to ask questions?"

"It's not that but I thought-"

"You thought I'll ask about your whereabouts. Look, you didn't ask me why I will be late, then I also should not ask you about your whereabouts. If you want me to know something then you will tell me eventually. Not because I asked you about it but you are willing to talk about it."

"How are you so amazing?"

I smiled and then she continued, "I have a job today. I'll come back as soon as possible."

My smile dropped. Not because I didn't want her to continue doing it but I was worried about her. It's quite natural that she'll continue taking up murder contracts and I know she'll be successful each and every time but she's my life. I'll always try to protect her. So, I told her the only right thing at that moment,"Be careful. I want you back at home in one piece."

"Promise." and she gave me her signature smile.

We finished our breakfast and left the diner after paying. Even after insisting her that I'll drop her off, she convinced me that she'll take a cab. So, I gave her a goodbye kiss and went on our own path.