Carlos

The next day Luca was quite happy for his date. Though he was not ready to admit that but I could see the sparkle in his eyes. He called Malena yesterday and just like Rose predicted she didn't agree initially but she did agree in the end. We didn't consider the fact that she might have a boyfriend but if you had a father like Diego then it's pretty hard for you to have a boyfriend. And above all that asshole was saving his dear daughter for an alliance.

Me and Rose stayed in and enjoyed our time. Italy was handled by my brother and I didn't had any work in Mexico. So, we preferred to dine in and watch movies. Luca came back late from the date. Rose was more excited than the man and the lady. She showered Luca with her curiosity.

"How was your date?"

"Nice."

"Luca, did you forget to construct a full sentence. Stop giving me a one word answers. Speak up."

"It was good."

"And...."

"What do you need more?"

"Something more? I think I went crazy for your date for nothing."

"I never told you to go crazy. She was nice but she's a bit reserved. It'll take her time to open up."

"Of course it'll take time. It's your first date goddamn it. I hope you were not expecting her to be too voluble on her first date. I pushed you for this date because I somehow found her a little different from those typical Espinas."

"Okay, mother dearest, as you wish. But don't push me much. This time you requested, that's why I went but don't expect that it'll also happen the next time."

"Huh! So, you are telling me you didn't enjoyed your time!? Stop with your act. Go, have a nice sleep. We leave tomorrow, I hope you remember. If you want you can stay back. We can manage a few days without you."

"That's my queue to leave. Good night, lovebirds."

And we laughed. It's cute to see them banter. They are like long lost siblings.

************************************

We came back to Italy safe and sound. Marco sent the weapon order within two weeks of our arrival and he actually sent the good quality guns. Luca went back to his original self but we didn't know whether he's in contact with Malena or not. I didn't force him to say anything, even Rose left it at the hands of fate. If they are meant to be they'll find their way back to each other. But something tells me that Rose believes whole heartedly that they will end up together.

Months went by like this. We were taking care of our legitimate business. Rose went back to her university and every night she came back covered in blood. She looks exhausted everytime she comes back home but her eyes do sparkle because of her successful kills.

Everything was going beautifully until one day I got a call from Luciano. I was out at one of my restaurants with Luca to see whether it's been run properly or not and I got a call that someone was following Rose at her way back home. She successfully knocked him out and dragged to the warehouse. Just what I expect from her. We ran to the warehouse after the phone call.

When we reached there, she was already torturing that asshole with a blowtorch in her hand. God knows what's going on in her mind. I thought it's better not to interrupt her.

"Speak up. Who sent you to keep an eye on me?"

He kept his mouth shut. She squeezed his throat harder but still no words. That's a loyal bastard.

"Speak up or else I'll take your eyes out and I'm not even joking."

Just then I saw the dagger kept at a side table. The guy howled with fear seeping into him but no sign of answers.

"Last warning, chap. Speak up or else-"

"Maria Espina."

Stunned. If we would have heard Marco's name, we could have accepted but Maria!! Why does that old lady wants to be on our wrong side?

"Are you telling the truth?"

He struggled for air but somehow forced the words out. "I don't want to be blind."

"Nice choice. Luciano get him a doctor. Though there is no major injury."

"Are.... are you letting... me go out of here alive?"

"Why, you want to stay?" she snapped.

"No...no."

"Knew it but you can't leave that easily. Get yourself checked by a doctor first. We will talk."

"Again..." That guy has the guts to speak up even after everything.

"Shut that pretty little mouth of yours if you don't want our next meeting with a blowtorch and daggers."

He didn't utter a single word after that. Absolute silence. Luciano told one of his men to take him to our family doctor while we went to the meeting room including Val.

I spoke, "I'm not able to understand why Mrs. Espina is trying to fuck with us?"

Rose said, "She has some motive, Carl, or else nobody is dumb enough to fuck with the Italians."

Val said, "Did you find something suspicious when you went to Mexico?"

Luca answered, "No. At least not from her. She expressed only motherly warmth towards us and she was very thankful that we killed Diego."

"You are missing one thing, Luca. Though I thought it's not a matter of concern but when she greeted me her eyes lingered a second too long than you guys. I thought maybe she was seeping in my looks but now it seems something else."

Luciano finally said, "Whatever we say now it will be based on our assumptions. Maybe Mrs. Espina needs some surprise visitors."

"She surely do. But I think it'll be better if they visit us.", I said

"And how will you do that?"

"Leave it to me. Right now just ask that bastard to report to her with fake infos about you. She should not know that she's caught."

"Yes, Don."

Everyone dispersed except Rose. She was not startled by the incident but she's definitely confused with Mrs. Espina. I went to her and hold her hands.

"Care to share what you are thinking?"

"Whatever we discussed right now."

"I know. It's a messed up situation but we'll figure it out soon."

She gave me her beautiful smile and kissed me on the cheek. "Okay, let's go. We have to talk with that bastard again. He's fantastic at his work, Carl. He kept an eye on me for one month. Can you imagine? One fucking month and I was clueless. When I went through their chat it only showed my regular routine. Where I go. What I eat. Whom do I meet. But I don't get it why does she needs to know all these. Is she helping her son? So, many questions are looking for it's answers, Carl. What I'm saying is that I'm keeping him alive and he'll work for me."

"What? After all of these?"

She nod and say, "After all of these. Of course, he have to win himself the loyalty first but I think he was just doing his job. He's a good guy."

"Then why did you scare him with your daggers and blowtorch?"

"That was one of my torture techniques. Most of them speak up just by seeing the blowtorch and some really needs their eyes carved out. I knew he'd speak eventually but I wanted him to speak fast. Thus, the technique."

I shake my head with disbelief. Woman. My woman.

"Stop acting like you are not impressed. Come, let's talk with him and then we can go home."

"What do you want to eat?"

"Mac n Cheese."

With that she smiled and dragged me out of the room. I knew this was the calm before the storm. But there's nothing that we cannot handle.