Week One, Monday

Week One, Monday

    Ayano wakes up at six in the morning, just like she usually does. She goes through her morning routine, and is out of the house at six-thirty in the morning. The walk is silent.

    Until Taro’s friend turns the corner, muttering as he walks ahead of her, unaware of her presence only a few yards back.

    Ayano watches the boy huff and puff over, honestly, who knows what. Probably Taro, Ayano assumes. She doesn’t know if she should talk to him or not.

    She doesn’t get to decide, because after five minutes of him complaining, he stops long enough to hear her quiet footsteps. He stops and turns.

    Face turning red, he yells, “How long have you been there?”

“Five minutes,” Ayano responds calmly.

“What!” He sputters, then stomps over to her. “Come on, let’s go to school.” He grabs her by the arm and pulls her with him.

Ayano just trails behind him, somewhat annoyed but willing to go along with this break in her routine. But she doesn’t even know who this boy is, only that he knows Taro.

“Who are you?” Her words catch him off guard, and he lets go of her.

“You mean you don’t know who I am, but you were willingly following me? I could’ve

been kidnapping you! You can’t just blindly follow people!”

“I know that you’re in my school. We have the same school uniform. And I know you were with Taro on Friday when we ran into each other. It wasn’t blind trust. I just don’t know your name.” Ayano remains calm, and while the boy stays flustered, he doesn’t shout anymore. Which is good, because the shouting was getting annoying.

“Oh. Well, I’m Osano Najimi. You’re Aya, right?”

“Ayano Aishi.”

Osano looks at her for a moment. “Well, I’m going to call you Aya. It’s cuter.” His face,

somehow, becomes even redder. “Not that you’re cute or anything!”

Ayano isn’t sure how to respond, so she doesn’t. After a moment, they continue walking to school, without Osano grabbing onto Ayano’s arm.

Ayano is content with the silence, but when the school comes into view, Osano shatters it.

“Taro keeps sleeping in. He always does this, and I wait for him, but I’m sick of being late because of him. I waited twenty minutes for him this morning! He apologizes but he keeps doing it. I’m sick of it.”

So that’s what he was complaining about earlier. Ayano nods as Osano complains, and when he stops, he looks at her, waiting for a response.

“Well, have you talked to him about it? More than just complaining when he’s late. He could have trouble sleeping, or he just needs to go to sleep earlier. And, if you don’t want to be late, just don’t wait for him. He won’t be upset if he realizes you’re doing this to keep out of detention.”