Week Eight, Wednesday

    Ayano wakes up a minute before her alarm. She can’t help but be upset by this, and then proceeds to feel happy because she can feel upset. Needless to say, she’s beaming when she steps out of her house that morning. The five boys notice immediately.

    “You look positively radiant, darling,” Kizano says as he sidles closer, taking one of Ayano’s hands. “Did you have a pleasant dream?”

    Ayano shakes her head. “I was upset today!”

    Oko can’t help the confused, “What?” from slipping out. 

    “I thought being upset is, you know, saddening?” Aso asks.

    “It is, but it was over something so trivial . And I realized I can be upset by small things now.” Ayano shrugs, the explanation obvious to her.

    Osano sighs. “Aya, you’re one of a kind.” He looks unamused as he says this. The other boys nod along.

    Ayano, for her part, just smiles, still on her emotional high. The walk to school is wonderful, in her opinion. To the boys, however, they’re too asleep to care.

    When Ayano gets to school, she heads towards the incinerator. Aso ends up walking with her.

    “Why are you heading back here?” Aso asks, and then he gasps. “Are you coming to the Sports Club? Do you want to join me today?” He’s practically vibrating, and Ayano slowly shakes her head.

    “I’m going to the incinerator...for Osorō.” 

    Aso visibly deflates, his grin dropping as confusion takes over. “Why? Wouldn’t he rather be with all of his pals right now?”

    Ayano shrugs. “I’ve been asked to tutor him, and I agreed. We picked mornings to study.”

    Aso nods, his smile returning as quickly as it left. “That makes sense. Well, I’ll see you later, Yan!” He jogs off then, and Ayano turns the corner to see Osorō and his friends. Osorō, for his part, is watching Aso run off, glaring at the athlete.

    “Osorō, you ready?” Ayano asks, and Osorō’s eyes dart to hers.

    “Huh? Yeah, sure. Let’s go, princess.” Osorō follows Ayano’s lead, and the two head to the confession tree once more. 

    The next half an hour is spent going over formulas and breaking down equations. For the most part, Ayano is able to keep Osorō on track, keeping his attention on the textbook in front of them. There are times, however, when he manages to distract her.

    “Sphere?” Osorō mutters to himself at one point. “Isn’t that a weapon?”

    Ayano just blinks and moves on.

    Then, a few minutes later, Osorō huffs, pushing the book away. “Geography doesn’t even make sense! There’s too many shapes!”

    Ayano pauses, then responds with, “You mean geometry?”

    Osorō blushes, but stands firm. “Yeah, geography.”