Week Four, Thursday

Week Four, Thursday

    For the first time in forever, Ayano’s phone is clear of notifications when she wakes up. She’s able to go through her routine normally for once, getting ready without thinking about what’s to come. It’s a moment for her to wake up, a chance to just go through the motions without having to analyze what it’ll do to her reputation or friendships.

    The silence is peaceful for once.

    When she’s done, she puts a smile on her face as she opens the door. The four boys are waiting for her, Taro once again absent. Ayano greets her four friends while she shuts her door, then they start walking to school.

    Ayano smiles and talks with the boys, like usual. Almost subconsciously, she notices how much happier they seem to be. And how much easier emotions have become for Ayano. She remembers how, just four weeks ago, she never smiled without forcing herself to. Every action, every face she made, it was all fake. Artificial.

    But now, now Ayano feels more realistic. She knows that she isn’t whole, but just walking with her friends makes everything easier. It becomes natural to laugh when one of them makes a joke, or smile when they speak.

    And, hopefully, as time goes on, Ayano will be able to feel alongside the expressions. More than just contentment. She wants happiness. She wants joy .

    And right now, Ayano believes that she doesn’t need to be like her mother. She’s had the thought before, had her suspicions, but now? Now she’s sure. She doesn’t need to fall so quickly, so violently, to be whole. 

    None of the boys know why Ayano’s smile is especially bright during the walk, but they enjoy it.

-----

    They’re sitting at the fountain when Kokona and Riku arrive, hand in hand. The two head over to the fountain, smiling.

    “Hey, Yan!” Kokona says happily, leaning onto Riku.

    “Hey, Kokona. Hi, Riku. Glad to see that you managed to confess,” Ayano greets back, and Riku blushes and laughs.

    “Yeah, thank you again, Ayano,” Riku says, and Kokona is confused by that.

    “What did she do?” She quickly turns to look at Ayano. “Yan, what did you do?”

    “Oh, I just gave him some advice. He just needed some confidence.” Ayano brushes it off, and Kokona giggles.

    “Thank you, then. We’ll see you guys later!” Then the two are off, talking and laughing as they go.

    “Oh, they’re a couple?” Taro asks as he arrives, watching the two go.

    “As of yesterday,” Amao says happily. “They’re adorable together.”

    “It was about time, too! Those two have been head over heels since they first met,” Kizano states, but he’s beaming proudly. “I’m glad for them, of course. And I have a feeling I’ll make the next play involve a nice background couple.”