Week Eight, Sunday

Week Eight, Sunday

When Ayano wakes up in a cold sweat, she knows that the day will be a long one. It takes five minutes for her to slow down her breathing, and ten more to get out of her bed. Once she's out, she changes quickly, practically throwing on her green top and a pair of shorts. She's antsy, going from room to room, trying to distract herself with something, anything.

There's nothing left to do. Her house is clean, spotless from a lack of living in it. All of her homework is done, completed on Friday. There's nothing here, no one here, and Ayano feels trapped.

On a whim, Ayano grabs her phone, key, and wallet, and leaves her house. She's texting Osano before she realizes it.

' Hey. Can I come over? I know it's early but I don't feel safe alone. ' Ayano sends the text, checking the time. It's only eight in the morning.

That doesn't stop Osano from replying, however.

' Of course, Aya. '

Then, a few seconds later, ' Want me to come get you? I can get dressed and head on over. '

Ayano smiles at his kindness. ' I'm already on my way. Thank you, Osano. '

' Anything for you, Aya. ' He responds. Then the three dots pop back up, and Ayano waits for another text, but they just disappear again.

When Ayano knocks on the door to Osano's house, it's not Osano who greets her. Instead, a sweet looking woman opens the door.

"Oh!" The woman looks surprised. "I thought you were Taro. Silly me. What's your name, dear?"

"Ayano Aishi. It's nice to meet you." Ayano holds out a hand to shake.

She's quickly pulled into a hug instead.

" You're Ayano? I've heard so much about you! It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Osano's mother." As Mrs. Najimi speaks, she tightens her grip on Ayano.

Ayano tries to respond, but she cannot breathe. Instead she just nods.

"Mom, you're choking her," Osano says, walking into Ayano's view. He looks like he just woke up, and his red shirt slips off of his shoulder as he pinches the bridge of his nose, exasperated.

Mrs. Najimi gasps, releasing Ayano. "Oh, I'm so sorry, dear! Here, come on in. Have you eaten breakfast? My husband is almost done cooking, and we always have extra."

Ayano smiles. "I haven't eaten. I'd love to have some, if you don't mind."

Osano snorts. "Ayano, we usually have Taro or Hanakō popping in halfway through our meals. We always have leftovers. Come on, let's eat." He takes her hand and pulls her away from his mom.

Ayano laughs as he pulls her to the kitchen. "I shouldn't be surprised, honestly. Is your father a good cook, like you are?"

Mr. Najimi turns from the stove, and Ayano can see the similarities between the two immediately. The only difference is that Osano's father is taller, and his features are sharper.

Currently, Mr. Najimi is laughing. "I'd hope I'm better, little miss, or my business wouldn't be doing all too well."

Osano sighs. "He owns a nearby restaurant."

Ayano blinks, then asks, "Wait, do you mean Najimi? That's your restaurant?"

Mr. Najimi laughs again. "Yes indeed! Started it back when Osano was just a little toddler. I've taught him as he's grown."

"That explains why you're such a good cook," Ayano mutters, and Osano sighs again.

"Whatever. Just sit down somewhere, Aya."