Week Nine, Thursday

Week Nine, Thursday

    Ayano wakes up at a normal time, and she’s grateful. While she can’t remember dreaming, it’s far better than having a nightmare. Ayano will take what she can get, honestly. And for now, Ayano takes the silence in as she pulls on her uniform and gets ready for the day. It’s an average beginning to a hopefully average day.

    Seven boys are waiting for Ayano when she opens the door. It seems that even if Taro isn’t a permanent addition to the walking group, Hanakō is. And perhaps Osorō, with how he leans against her doorway. Or perhaps it’s just for today.

    Ayano will take whatever moments she can get with her friends.

    “Hey, guys,” Ayano greets her friends, like usual. Or, at least, she tries to.

    Instead, she’s quickly cut off by Hanakō’s very flustered, very rushed, “Senpai, you look really pretty today!” 

    Ayano stops walking for a second, stumbling over her foot. Her face feels warm, and she resists pressing her hands to her cheeks to cool them down. “Oh, uh, thank you.” She feels embarrassed, not ready for the sudden compliment.

    The rest of the boys are giving Hanakō looks, and Hanakō rubs the back of his neck. “I mean, you look really pretty every single day, not that you’re ugly normally!”

    Ayano blinks. “Thank you?” Is she being complimented?

    Hanakō’s face is bright red. “I’m sorry I’m just really bad at this but you’re pretty I’ll shut up now.” He clasps his mouth shut, refusing to look at Ayano.

    Osano, Osorō, and Aso look like they’re trying not to laugh at Hanakō, while Kizano, Oko, and Amao just look at the boy with pity.

    Finally, Ayano speaks up. “Thank you, again? But, Hanakō, why were you complimenting me if it makes you so uncomfortable?”

    Hanakō lets out a noise. Ayano is pretty sure that it’s a whine, but it sounds more like a squealing cat. After twenty-three seconds of the odd cat noise, Hanakō stops and looks at her. Face still red, he says, “You said compliments help to make a girl fall in love with you, Senpai.”

    Ayano giggles, finally understanding. “Oh, I see.” She smiles, missing how all of the boys except Hanakō give her skeptical looks. Hanakō looks hopeful, but Ayano’s looking ahead and can’t see it. “You’re trying to make sure I gave Taro good advice.”

    Hanakō visibly deflates, jaw dropping, and the other six boys just snort or roll their eyes.

    Ayano feels her smile drop, and she looks back at Hanakō with sad eyes. “It probably wouldn’t work, anyways. Not for me,” Ayano admits. 

    Hanakō looks confused, and even Osorō blinks at that. The other five boys share looks, knowing that Ayano is about to admit her secret again.

    “Why not?” Hanakō asks.

    “I don’t think I can feel love. Not yet.” Ayano tries to smile, but it feels forced and somber.

    Osorō speaks next. “What? What do you mean?”

    Ayano shrugs. “Emotions have always been...odd for me. Well, practically nonexistent until nine weeks ago. It’s a family thing.”