Week Five, Thursday

Week Five, Thursday

    It’s easier to put on the new uniform this morning. Ayano is used to the added heat, and no longer gives the blazer any attention as she ties up her bright red bow tie. It lays just above the choker, allowing the black heart to hang where everyone can see it. It seems fitting to Ayano. 

    The only texts Ayano gets that morning are notifications that Oko and Aso have been added to the group chat, which is still named Ayano Protection Squad. Ayano should probably change that. Probably.

    She doesn’t.

    Instead, Ayano pockets her phone and steps out to greet her friends. The walk to school is fairly silent, with most of the group still waking up. Ayano enjoys it nonetheless, content from just being around her friends. 

    When they get to school, the group separates, all going their own ways. Ayano heads up to the Student Council room. She greets the four girls, who seem to be discussing something important, then picks up a document to read. She’s halfway through the page when Kuroko calls out her name. 

    “Yes, Kuroko?” Ayano asks, setting the paper down.

    “Have you spotted anything unusual lately?” Kuroko looks straight at Ayano as she asks.

    “No? Nothing other than having a boy stalk me for a week because of infatuation.”

    Kuroko nods, eyebrows furrowing. “Maybe that’s related.”

    “What’s going on?”

    “Someone stole from the Science Club yesterday,” Akane answers. “When I went in to check on their club, the leader said that some tools were missing.”

    “Maybe they misplaced them.” Ayano doesn’t believe the words even as she speaks.

    “No, they keep the lab very organized. They have to.” Akane frowns. 

    “What tools were stolen?” 

    “A screwdriver, for one. I believe they had a wrench in there, but that’s gone as well. A hammer, too.” 

    “All taken yesterday at lunch.” Aoi scoffs. “Just like the Occult thief.”

    “So is this a repeating offender? Or a coincidence?” Ayano asks, and Kuroko hands her a paper. It’s the report on yesterday’s theft. Ayano sets it to the side.

    “I think it’s a repeat offender. They’re probably upset that they couldn’t get away with stealing the first time, so now they’re back for more.” Shiromi shrugs. “Or they just think it’s fun, making us think so hard about it.”

   “So, how would Otohiko be related?” Ayano asks, and everyone turns to look at Kuroko.

    Kuroko blushes, but her face remains neutral. “It is an option, of course. I think that Otohiko could be a suspect, considering that doing this would get Ayano’s attention.”

    Aoi rolls her eye at that. “Please. He wouldn’t get in trouble for her. He’s been hiding from us, remember? He doesn’t want us to know when he’s watching Ayano. Bringing attention to himself goes against everything he’s done since his trip to the Guidance Counselor.”