Week Seven, Saturday

    Ayano wakes up early on Saturday morning, her phone buzzing with texts from Aso. Ayano smiles, opening their conversation as she yawns.

    ‘ Yan! Just a reminder, the competition is at one! ’ The first text reads.

    The second one is just as excited. ‘ In case you forgot, here’s the address! I’ll see you there! :D ’ There’s a link to the competition site, which is another school on the other side of Buraza.

    Ayano blinks at the name of the school, Buraza High, then laughs.

    It looks like Ayano will be going to her old school for the day. Who would’ve expected that?

    Ayano sends a response to Aso. ‘ I can’t wait to watch you win. Is Buraza High the only competition? ’ Ayano tries to remember if their Sports Team was any good. She can’t remember, having never cared enough to ask.

    ‘ Nope! There are three other teams coming in, all from nearby schools. 

    ‘ Well, good luck today! I’ll be cheering you on. ’ 

    ‘ Thanks! :D 

    Ayano smiles at the text, then sets her phone down. She gets ready for the day, donning a light blue shirt and denim shorts, then cleans around her house for a few hours. She eats lunch, then heads out of her house, phone, wallet, and key in her pockets. She doesn’t need to check for directions, already knowing her way to her old school by heart. 

    As Ayano walks, she thinks about her old school even more. It was a long walk to and from school, but Ayano never really cared. She didn’t even pay attention to the fact that Akademi was so much closer last year, only concerned with keeping her routine and appearing normal. And now, here she is, coming back to her old school.

    Ayano wonders if anyone from Buraza High will recognize her. She wonders if anyone remembered her enough to miss her.

    Ayano doesn’t expect anyone to, of course, but the thought still lingers. After all, she’d spent her first year of high school there, and she’d spent all of her earlier years at the nearby elementary school, and middle school, that everyone else went to. 

    Then again, Ayano had always tried to blend in.

    Ayano resolves to not think about it. If someone recognizes her, then she’ll deal with it then. Otherwise, it doesn’t really matter. 

    Ayano arrives at Buraza High with half an hour before the competition begins. She gets in quickly, the line being short, and finds a spot on the top row of the bleachers. Ayano searches for Aso among the swimmers, and spots him with his club members. She waves, and he sees the motion.

    Even from across the pool, Ayano can see his grin, the club leader lighting up when he notices her. He waves back excitedly, then turns back to his team. Ayano watches his animated gestures, smiling at the sight.

    She’s surprised when someone sits next to her. She blinks, turning to look at the girl beside her. 

    The girl in question is staring at her, eyes searching for something.