Week Seven, Tuesday

Week Seven, Tuesday

    Ayano wakes up normally once more, and is grateful. She’s grateful, too, when she gets through her morning routine without difficulty. And she’s even more grateful when she opens the door and spots her five guy friends.

    The point is, Ayano is grateful that her life is returning to normal. Or, at the very least, the normal of this year. She’s happy as she walks to school with the boys, talking about their plans for the day.

    At one point, Kizano turns to Ayano. “Darling, I’m cancelling today’s club meeting, so you can head to one of your other clubs today.”

    “Okay,” Ayano responds easily, then eyes him curiously. “Why are you cancelling, though?”

    Kizano smiles. “It’s my parents’ anniversary, and every single year I come home and cook them a meal, then help my father get ready to take my mother out dancing.” He leans closer and winks. “I think my mother cares more about the second half, to be honest. My father knows nothing about dressing for a date.”

    Amao chuckles. “That’s nice of you. On my parents’ anniversary, I spend all day cooking and baking for them...and the rest of the night cleaning up the kitchen.”

    “I just give them a gift,” Oko admits.

    Aso nods. “Same here. Usually they want the night alone, so I head out for the day, and return with gifts before I sleep.”

    Osano laughs at that. “My parents just tell me to hang out with Taro for the day, and I end up cooking dinner when I return.” 

    The boys all laugh together, and Ayano can’t help but join in.

    Oko turns to her. “Ayano, what do...what do you do on your parents’ anniversary?”

    Ayano shrugs. “My parents are usually gone that whole day. I think my mom just uses it as an excuse to be with my dad and do whatever she’s been wanting to. I was...never expected to do anything. My mom said I’d understand the feeling when I find my love.”

    The boys nod, but they aren’t amused like the other comments made them feel. And, for a fleeting moment, Ayano feels jealous, envious of their normal lives with normal parents. Parents who wanted to include them, who were so amazing that their kids brought them gifts.

    Ayano’s always been taken care of. She’s been given the bare necessities, she’s been given toys to distract her.

    But never love. 

    Love was saved for her father, and her father was too scared to openly love his own daughter.

    But the moment is gone when Osano takes one of her hands.

    “Well, you can help me cook dinner for my parents’ anniversary, then.” He winks, and Ayano laughs. The rest of the boys chime in with similar statements, and Ayano forgets about her own family.

    It’s easy, when they’re not even in the country.