Week Five, Monday

Week Five, Monday

    Ayano makes a new friend today. She’s walking to school with the four usual boys, which consists of Osano, Amao, Kizano, and Oko at this point, when she meets them.

    The introduction reminds her of her first day of school, when she ran into Taro. This time, however, she’s knocked down by a different guy...and he falls onto her.

    The boy stares at her, his tan skin going red as he realizes what he’s done.

    “Oh man, I’m so sorry!” He shouts immediately, and springs off of her in an easy, fluid motion. He holds a hand out to her, and she takes it. He pulls her up without effort, and she feels herself growing warmer around the boy. “I wasn’t looking where I was going, you’re not hurt are you?” His bright blue eyes are filled with concern for her, and she shakes her head.

    “I’m fine,” Ayano says, or at least, she starts to.

    Osano cuts in, pulling Ayano close. “You knocked her over, you idiot! Watch where you’re going next time!” He turns Ayano to look at him, and he does nothing to hide his worry. “Did he hurt you, Aya?”

    Ayano can see the other three behind Osano, and they’re all upset and concerned. She sighs, shaking her head. “Guys, I’m fine. He barely hit me.”

    The boy seems relieved by that. “That’s great to hear, but I’m still sorry for hitting you. If you ever need anything, just let me know and I’ll see what I can do. I’m Aso Rito, by the way.” He holds out a hand to her.

    She reaches out, still held onto by Osano, and shakes his hand. “I’m Ayano. It’s nice to meet you.”

    Aso smiles at that. “You too! I’ll, uh, see you around?” He looks worried, glancing at Osano’s growing glare.

    “You can walk with us to school, if you’d like. We don’t mind,” Ayano says, and she gives Osano a look. He huffs and looks away from Aso, and the other boys seem to relax at that. 

    Aso’s grin increases tenfold. “Really? I’d love to.” He walks on Ayano’s other side, relaxed.

    Ayano has a feeling that her usual group may have just increased by one. She finds pleasure in that fact. 

-----

    The next time Aso pops up is at lunch. Ayano is listening to Osano and Kizano as they talk about how weirdly distracted Mrs. Fuka has been with their lessons when the athlete shows up.

    He’s practically vibrating as he stands still beside Ayano. “Hey, Yan! Want to go for a run? With me?” His face is red, Ayano assumes that he ran up to the roof to ask.

    Amao frowns, and he stops opening a container of cookies to look at Ayano. “Are you going now, dear? I was just about to offer some cookies I made. It’s a new recipe.”

    Ayano hesitates. She’d like to try the cookies, but she shouldn’t refuse a new friend’s offer. 

    Luckily, Aso is distracted by the sight of food. “Oh, those look amazing, Amao!”