Week Two, Thursday

Week Two, Thursday

    Ayano walks to school with Osano, Taro, and Amao. It’s pleasant, for Ayano at least.

    The whole time, Osano makes small remarks about how it used to be just him who walked Ayano to school, and now everyone just has to walk her to and from school.

    Ayano...doesn’t see a problem with it. Knowing that so many people care about her, and that she has so many friends, it makes her feel light. She doesn’t know how to describe the feeling better than that, than the idea that she could float.

    It’s better than contentment, but not quite anything more.

    ‘ Is it happiness? ’ Ayano wonders, but it doesn’t make sense. She hasn’t fallen in love. ‘ Perhaps Kokona was right, maybe I can learn to feel slowly? 

    She brushes away the thought for later. Thursday mornings aren’t a good time for Ayano to ponder emotions and what gaining them could mean.

    Instead, she takes the walk as time to talk to her friends. At the very least, her friends are happy when she talks to them, even if she isn’t.

    As they step onto school grounds, Osano looks to Ayano.

    “Are you ditching me again?” He asks immediately, and doesn’t follow with any insulting remarks.

    Ayano nods. “It’s the last day, I promise.”

    Osano sighs, but nods. “It better be.”

    So Ayano walks off after a quick, “See you guys later.”

    Behind her, Amao asks, “Wait, what is she even doing?”

    Osano scoffs, then pauses. “Actually, I never asked.”

    Ayano wonders what she’ll tell them later, but that’s not her concern right now.

    Going through her mental checklist, Ayano knows that she only has three more clubs to go to. She has to see the Science Club, the Gardening Club, and the Sports Club. Honestly, she isn’t quite sure what the plan is for today, but she has a feeling she’s keeping the same old excuse.

    Ayano heads to the Science Club first, and stops, stunned, when she sees a robot girl hanging on a wall.

    A girl with gray and green hair, and...matching metal ears sticking out of her head, looks at Ayano passively. Ayano smiles at the girl.

    “Sorry, I was just impressed.”

    The girl smirks. “You should be. I created her myself.”

    “All on your own?”

    Another girl scoffs. “Of course not. She deals with a lot of it, but I had a part too. I’m the mechanic of this club, she’s just the roboticist.”

    “That’s amazing. You must be incredibly smart to do all of this.” Ayano gestures to all of the robots she sees. Perhaps, if she had devoted more time to science, she would’ve been able to make something like the tiny robots she sees in the corner.