Special Chapter

game over (?)

Nemesis thinks he has Ayano right where he wants her. There's no way she can pull any tricks this time, right?

Setting is Mission Mode if they weren't in a school. Ayano is still a hitman working for Info-chan and Nemesis is still hunting Ayano.

----

Nemesis is fueled by one thing, and that’s hate. 

As he stalks the smoky, neon-lit streets, he knows this to be true. There are many weapons in hidden pockets on the inside of his overcoat, and each one has a different fantasy attached. 

This icepick will look so pretty sticking out of Ayano’s eye. This knife will unleash a positively gorgeous rainbow of guts, once Nemesis digs it into Ayano’s soft underbelly. This gun will blow a cacophony of crimson across the wall and it will end with Ayano’s body slumping down. 

Nemesis is a man of few words and many murders. He has eyes on his target. Ayano is fifteen feet ahead of him, wearing a long-sleeved gray dress over black jeans. Her chunky sneakers are muddy, and her gait looks uneven. She looks exhausted, and one arm is clutching her side—an injury? All the better. 

As he watches, Ayano disappears into a secluded, low-traffic footpath. It’s Nemesis’s time to shine. He speeds up his walk—it’s never a conspicuous run, only a speed walk. 

The second he sees Ayano again, he has her at gunpoint. “Game over, Aishi.”

Ayano stays silent. She draws her hand away from her side and her fingers are soaked in blood. Nemesis lowers his gun, slightly. “Ha, this’ll be easy, then.”

The ever-taciturn Ayano just looks up from underneath her feathery bangs and shoots Nemesis a look of pure hatred. Her eyes are creepy— this weird dusty black, more gray than brown, like all life has been sucked out of them. They reflect no shine, not even in the neon universe of the streets. Nemesis doesn’t let that scare him, though, and he walks right up to her and puts the gun under her chin. “Do you have any idea how long I’ve been dreaming of this? You’ll pay for what you did to me, Aishi.”

Ayano reaches up and touches Nemesis’s face with her bloody hand. Nemesis feels a spat of revulsion—ew, Aishi’s dirty body fluids are on him now, to he’s gonna get AIDS.

“Why aren’t you saying anything?” Nemesis hisses. 

The girl that he has been chasing for ten years finally speaks. “Because I’ve already won.”

That strikes the fear of God into Nemesis. If he knows one thing, it’s that Ayano is cold and efficient and deadly when she wants to be—and there is no emotion in her voice, no indication that this is a bluff. Nemesis fully believes it. 

And she’s right too, because a second later, something launches at his face and the blinding pain in his eye forces him to let go of Ayano. He staggers back, the pain making his uninjured eye water. 

Ayano’s still hurt. She wasn’t lying about that. She goes right back to clutching her side, but she walks up to Nemesis and puts her sneaker on his jaw. Nemesis pants through exertion and pain. Ayano stoops and picks up the thing that attacked Nemesis—

—it’s a huge rat. It’s Ayano’s pet rat that she’s had this entire time. God, Nemesis feels stupid. Ayano is an emotionless shell, why would she genuinely find joy in an animal? Nemesis wanted to believe she was human so badly, and look where it’s gotten him. As she watches, convulsing in pain on the ground of the alleyway, Ayano gives the rat a small scratch under the chin and puts it on her shoulder. She leaves without so much as another word. 

Damn it. Damn it! Nemesis curls into the fetal position, pressing his fingers hard over his bleeding eye. Not even another word. How dare she leave without any banter with her nemesis? 

How dare she leave without letting Nemesis tell her that he loves her? 

 Notes:

This chapter is dedicated to some of readers that wanna see Nemesis, hope you enjoyed! Until next time.

697 words.