Week Two, Monday

Week Two, Monday

    When Ayano arrives to Akademi with Osano on Monday, she waves goodbye at the gate, leaving him to wait for Taro. Osano doesn’t seem too upset by her sudden departure, but she knows that he will complain about it later. She isn’t annoyed by the fact, but content instead. His complaints just means he cares.

    Ayano switches into her school shoes, then sets off on a mission. A mission to compliment everyone with the nicest, most genuine compliments that Ayano can think of when she sees them.

    She starts by going up to the roof. There’s already a few people up there.

    Two girls, one with bright pink hair, the other with dark purple hair, stand next to each other by the railings around the roof. They gossip as they watch students walk in, laughing lightly.

    “Hi,” Ayano says cheerfully as she approaches, startling the girls.

    “Hi? Sorry, have we met?” The purple-haired girl asks, looking at Ayano as if trying to remember her.

    Ayano shakes her head. “No, I just saw you two and thought you both look amazing, and I thought you deserved to hear it.” She’s not lying, and that leaves Ayano content.

    The two girls beam. “Oh, thank you so much! I’m Sakyu, by the way!” The purple-haired girl says. “And this is my twin, Inkyu.”

    Inkyu smiles, then gasps in recollection. “You’re Aya, right? We’re in the same class, I’ve heard Osano talking to you!”

    “Ayano, and we are. It’s really nice to meet you, Sakyu. I’ll see you in class, Inkyu. Have a good day!”

    The girls respond similarly, and Ayano leaves them to go back to their gossiping.

    Ayano spots one other person on the roof at the moment, a green-haired girl who is typing quickly on her phone.

    The girl looks up as Ayano approaches.

    “Hi, I’m Midori! Who are you?” The girl asks, voice fast and fingers still flying over the tiny keyboard on her screen.

    “Ayano. What are you typing?”

    The girl seems to get more excited. “Oh! I’ve been sending emails to this game developer, you probably never heard of him. But! He makes videos of the game he’s working on. He’s been taking a while, but it takes him even longer to answer my emails! I have so many questions about what he plans to do, and I have great advice for the problems he currently has, yet he never seems to get my messages.” She dons a look of courage. “But I won’t give up! I’m sure if I keep emailing him, he’ll respond eventually. And, if I keep giving him advice, something will help him! And then he’ll want to read all of my emails!”

    Ayano nods as the girl speaks, and quickly cuts in when the girl stops for air. “Well, Midori, you have the strongest sense of perseverance that I’ve ever seen. That’s amazing.”

    Midori’s grin is so wide it looks painful. “Thanks! I’m going to keep emailing now, do you want to join me?”

    Ayano shakes her head. “No, thank you. Perhaps some other time.”