Week One, Thursday

Week One, Thursday

    Morning comes quickly for Ayano, and Osano isn’t far behind. He’s quiet the whole walk, but Ayano doesn’t question it. She reads through her lines for the play as she walks, memorizing quickly as she goes.

    The story is as simple as Shozo explained it yesterday. She, as a girl named Jinx, is an emotionless girl who fears the idea of falling in love, because she’s afraid that once she has emotions, she’ll be left behind. The guy, Alonso, is smitten by her immediately and continuously tries his hand at winning her heart. The story ends with their scene, the one she auditioned with. It seems to imply that the future will be a beautiful one.

    Ayano is content with it.

    “Hey, guys! Wait up!”

    The duo turn to see Taro running to catch up to them.

    Osano seems shocked. “You mean you’re actually up on time for once? How’d you manage to do that?”

    Taro laughs as he slows down to walk with them. “Hanakō felt bad about making me late yesterday, so he woke up early to make me breakfast and get me up.”

    Osano nods at that. “Did he keep apologizing?”

    “Yeah.”

    “Even when you said it was fine?”

    “Yeah.”

    Osano sighs. “He needs to stop doing that. He doesn’t need to constantly apologize to you- not like I care about your brother.”

    Ayano just blinks at Osano, and it’s enough for him to stop lying.

    Taro shrugs helplessly. “It’s just how he is. He doesn’t like upsetting people, you know that.” Taro notices the script in Ayano’s hands. “Oh! Ayano, are you in the Drama Club?”

    Ayano nods. “I auditioned yesterday and got in.”

    Osano rolls his eyes. “She didn’t just get in . Aya got the lead.”

    Taro seems impressed by that. “That’s amazing! What’s the play about, Ayano?”

    Ayano dons a smirk. “You’ll just have to wait and see for yourself.”

    “When are you guys performing?” Taro asks. “I haven’t watched a play from the Drama Club in a long time, but I’m happy to watch one if a friend is the lead.”

    Ayano pauses to remember. “It’s next weekend.”

    Osano is confused by that. “But that means you have just over a week to get ready!”

    Ayano shrugs. “It seems pretty short, but they wanted to do a play that weekend. The club leader is supposed to return then.”

    Taro nods. “Oh yeah, I heard that a year two is in charge of the club. That’s a smart idea. You’ll be able to wow him with your performance, I bet!”