Week Nine, Tuesday

Week Nine, Tuesday

    The day starts with Ayano’s phone buzzing. Ayano ignores her phone, instead focusing on dragging herself out of bed and getting ready for the day. She fumbles with her bow, accidentally tying it over her choker, and has to take an extra minute to fix it so they don’t overlap. Ayano grabs a slice of bread, her bag, and whatever else she needs before exiting her house.

    Like yesterday, Taro and Hanakō are waiting with the usual five boys. Unlike yesterday, Uekiya isn’t there.

    All Ayano has to do is raise an eyebrow at Taro, and he immediately explains. “She’s sick again, because she felt the need to help her sick parents get better.” He sighs. “She’s always looking out for others.”

    Osano snorts. “Taro, this is why we all knew already.”

    Taro blushes. “I don’t know what you’re talking abo-”

    “We all knew, Taro,” Oko interrupts, then freezes. “Sorry.”

    Taro sighs. “Right, right. Alright, so how do I do this?” He looks at Ayano.

    “Oh, we’re doing this now?” Ayano responds, and Taro nods. Beside him, Hanakō pulls out a notebook and a pencil.

    “Sweet, I finally get to see her doing this,” Aso mutters, and the boys laugh.

    “Alright, it’s not really that interesting, guys,” Ayano says with a sigh. Then she looks to Taro. “Listen, it’s really simple. First of all, you need to get to know her. You should know at least the basic likes and dislikes. I have no doubt that you’re fine with this, after all of the weeks you’ve spent in her club. Next, you need to compliment her. Girls, scratch that, everyone likes being complimented. They like to know that other people see them in a good light. Don’t just compliment her looks, though. A few appearance based compliments are fine, but overdoing it will make you seem shallow.”

    “So, how do I know when to stop?” Taro asks, eyes wide. “How many compliments should I be giving her in a day?”

    Ayano rolls her eyes. “Don’t force it, Taro. If you think she’s pretty, admit it. If a compliment isn’t naturally coming to your head, don’t try to make one up. Genuine compliments are the best.”

    Taro nods, slowly calming back down. “Okay, so hobbies and compliments. What else?”

    “Well, knowing that she likes you back would be helpful. I think it’s safe to say that she probably likes you, too. So the last thing is just getting the courage to ask her out.”

    “That’s it?” Taro asks, bewildered.

    “Yeah. Flirt with her a bit, and, you know, actually being her friend helps. It’s not that difficult. It’s the courage that most people lack.” Ayano shrugs. “You could probably find this online, honestly.”

    Taro blushes at that. “You’re serious? It’s that easy?”

    Ayano shrugs. “Yeah. I tried to tell you guys, I’m not some Cupid or anything. I’m just laying out facts here.”