Through His Eyes

Through His Eyes

She was a dazzling light, a star in the night, a beacon of warmth and love.
And he was just a moth, drawn in by her flames.
But coming too close could only result in a burn...

----

The first time he sees her, she's on stage and he's in the audience. He feels his breath catch in his throat when she walks on stage, the perfect picture of elegance and grace. And when she speaks, it's like the most heartfelt melody he's ever heard. And her eyes , they shine like glass, and they're oh so easy to just gaze into for hours...

It is love at first sight, and Otohiko wants, no, he needs to see his true love again. So he waits by the school gate for her on Monday. And she shows up, smiling that dazzling smile and talking with that beautiful voice of hers...but she's talking to other guys.

Otohiko can't help but dislike the boys that walk with his beloved, especially when they look up at him oddly, the orange-haired boy glaring at him. Who do they think they are, to look at him so harshly? To get in the way of love?

It takes him a moment to realize that she , too, has clearly seen him, because she is making her way straight to him .

This is it! This is his moment, his chance to find out that she saw him in the crowd and felt that same spark, and that she wants to spend the rest of her life with him. This is his chance to stop being a coward and ask her out!

But as she comes closer, it's as if his courage drains away, and he finds himself scared and timid as he steps forward to greet his soulmate. Brushing some hair out his face, he smiles and says, "Hi! Um, you're Ayano, right?"

Not smooth at all, but she nods and smiles. Beside her, that vile orange-haired boy continues to glare at him, and he can't help but shrink under that gaze.

"Yes, and you are?" Her voice is even sweeter now, the words for him alone, and he feels special knowing that something of hers is his, even if it's just a sentence.

"Oh! I'm Otohiko. I just wanted to, uh, say that I saw your performance. You were amazing ." Is that too subtle? Should he wax poetry about the way she moved, the way she froze time with a single glance? He's not one for dramatics, but if she's in the Drama Club, she may prefer a romantic...should he join the Drama Club?

Lost in his thoughts, Otohiko almost misses how that orange-haired boy - he really needs to learn that boy's name - reaches for his beloved Ayano's hand.

"Is that it?" The boy asks, angrier than he has any right to be. But that glare is petrifying, and Otohiko fears the orange-haired basilisk before him. So he begins to stumble over his words, his courage washing away.

"No! I uh, I also wanted to ask you something!"

Ayano looks at him, and she looks...annoyed? But why would she be annoyed, Otohiko is her soulmate! Isn't he?

He's moving their relationship too fast! That has to be it! If he just takes the time to know her better, surely she'll be happier that way and fall for him. But he can't talk to her, not with such an evil basilisk guarding her.

He has to wait. So he squeaks out a quick, "Never mind!" and darts off before she can stop him.

He'll find out everything he needs to about his dear Ayano. He'll learn everything there is to know about her, from her favorite hobbies to where she lives to her favorite food.