Week Seven, Friday

Week Seven, Friday

    Ayano wakes up with her alarm, and gets ready for the day without interruption. The normality of her routine calms her, and gives her a chance to wake up. By the time she opens the door to greet her friends, she’s smiling. The boys all smile back, even the ones who are ready to fall back asleep.

    Kizano takes Ayano’s hand as soon as they start walking, and begins to talk. “Darling, you won’t believe the luck I’ve had!” He proclaims, and Ayano giggles at the actor.

    “What happened?”

    “I found a script that I wrote last year! It was too short to use on its own, but I believe that it’s perfect for a one act! It has seven characters, too, so we simply have to use it.”

    “Why does it already have seven?” Ayano asks. 

    “Well, we only had seven members in the Drama Club when I wrote it, of course. One of them was a year three, so he’s long gone.” Kizano shrugs, as if the answer was obvious.

    Ayano just nods. “That makes sense. What’s the play about?”

    Kizano laughs. “Well, it’s actually another love story.”

    “Kizano, you better not make me the lead again.”

    Kizano, for his part, pretends to be hurt. “Darling, you wound me! What makes you think that I’m making you the lead again?”

    Ayano raises an eyebrow. “Tell me that I’m wrong, Kizano. I dare you.”

    Kizano sighs. “Okay, fine, I was going to make us the leads. But can you blame me? We’re both made to be the stars for this stage!”

    “But if we keep playing the leads, especially for all of the one acts, the audience will get bored. It’ll be weird to watch us go from the stars of one play to the next. We can be supporting characters, too, you know.”

    The other four boys nod along to Ayano’s argument, having listened in the whole time.

    “She has a point, you know,” Osano says.

    Kizano huffs. “Fine. But who would be good enough to take the spotlight? They need chemistry for this, the audience has to believe that they’re in love!”

    “Kokona and Riku,” Ayano says immediately. “They’re both really good actors. They’re both in love with each other. Kizano, that’s more than we have together.”

    “She’s right,” Oko mutters.

    Kizano blushes, but finally relents. “Fine! One play will have us as the leads, and one will have Kokona and Riku as the leads.”

    “And hopefully, the third will be a chance for the others to have more of the spotlight.” Ayano smiles. “Thank you for agreeing with me. I know how much you love being the star, but you can still own the stage without being the lead. Everyone will remember your character if you play it better than everyone else plays their character.”