Week Six, Thursday

Week Six, Thursday

    Ayano is already wide awake when her alarm goes off. She blinks slowly, looking away from her ceiling in order to turn off her alarm. She rubs at her eyes, forcing any drowsiness away. There’s no time to sleep, and Ayano isn’t sure if she can handle the dreams that’ll come if she does rest.

    Ayano stumbles over to her dresser, and starts to put on her uniform. The white feels blinding, even though Ayano is changing in the dark. She tugs on the blazer anyways, and does her best to tie her bowtie, knocking her choker the whole time. Finally, in twice the time it usually takes, Ayano looks like she usually does.

    The only difference is the faint circles under her eyes. Ayano wishes that she’d had an interest in makeup, so that she could pretend it all never happened.

    Instead, Ayano grabs her bag, her phone, and a piece of bread, then walks out of her door.

    She’s greeted with a crowd. Not only are the five boys waiting for her, but Taro, Uekiya, Kokona, and Riku are amongst the group. Ayano takes a moment to process this, then nods in greeting before locking her door.

    “How are you feeling, Aya?” Osano asks, taking one of her hands. Ayano leans against him, shrugging.

    “I’m tired.” Ayano yawns, then takes a bite out of her bread.

    Amao looks at her with concern. “Dear, did you manage to sleep at all last night?”

    Ayano thinks so. “Yeah?”

    For at least an hour, even if that was split into ten-minute increments…

    Aso frowns. “We heard about what happened. Are you okay, Yan?”

    Ayano feels herself freeze, and she forces herself to keep moving, to push the thoughts of yesterday out of her head. “I’ll be fine,” Ayano says, forcing herself to smile. “Don’t worry.”

    But they’re all worried, Ayano can see it. Even after they drop the topic, Ayano can see them watching her, and even worse, watching the streets around them. It’s the second thing that makes Ayano feel nervous, because then she starts to glance around, waiting to see that flash of pink hair. Waiting to see that glint of silver, to feel it pressed against her skin again. 

    Ayano shivers, and forces herself to ignore her friends’ searching eyes. She can’t focus on it, can’t think of things that make her nervous…

    She can’t be weak. An Aishi should never be nervous. They’re the hunters, not the prey. An Aishi woman is vicious, able to do whatever it takes for love. They’re never weak, never scared...they never have nightmares.

    Last night, Ayano failed at being an Aishi woman, in all possible ways. She couldn’t sleep, haunted by fears that wouldn’t leave her alone at night.

    And, clearly, they won’t leave her alone in the day either.

    When the group gets to school, Oko chooses to walk with her to the Student Council room. 

    “It’s on my way to the Occult room,” Oko says with a smile. Ayano doesn’t comment, she just nods, grateful.

    When she steps into the room, the four girls are sitting in the room already, along with the Headmaster. Two others are in there, and Ayano nearly drops her bag when they turn to face her.