Is this fine? (Chapter 25)

By now it is noon bleeding into late afternoon. We had taken a bit of time to rest and calm our nerves.

But soon it was time to continue and so we discussed our options.

There were several problems in our way some of which we didn't know how to solve.

There was no defeating Tsukassa, we couldn't kidnap anyone close to him because he didn't care nor did we have any other way to threaten him. The only way to have peace would be to make him join us by striking a deal.

Other than that the soldiers sent out to find Bubble hadn't reported back yet, did they too get captured or were they still running around trying to find the missing Mokke?

We were in the middle of getting ready to move again, we knew Teru was coming for us, all we could do is hope our plan was better than his.

Cotton handed us all a brown coat with a hood so we could hide our faces from curious apparitions, I put it on standing in a corner beside Mint a heavy silence burdening us.

"....what is it? You're staring."
Mint mumbled while tying its coat making me turn around with a jolt

"Ah sorry..."
I started but ran out of words

It sighed as it pulled the hood over its face
'I'm...supposed to be the one apologising- I didn't mean what I said today. Just when Cotton brought up my scar- I..."

Droplets of water hit the ground as it pulled the hood deeper over its face. I crouched down to get on its level, my heart drummed in pain. What happened in its past that made it as revenge-seeking as me or perhaps even worse than me?

"Hey, it's alright. I know you've been working a lot currently and the stress is probably getting to you too. On top of that Cotton was definitely in the wrong for bringing it up."
I comforted reaching my hand out and stroking its head gently. It froze at the touch but didn't back away from it either.

"...but I can't blame it for being suspicious. I would be too- but I just don't want to- I know I should at least tell you but-"
I cut into Mint's small voice as it trembled and shook my heart clenched at how hard it was trying to keep it together.

"Amigo- you don't need to explain if you don't want to. This is hardly relevant to the mission. Just know that I'm here and will listen if there is something you want to get off your chest. "
It didn't lift its head as it wrapped its paws around my hand, it never liked showing its vulnerable side, it made me feel fuzzy. Was I special to it?

"Thank you"
It sniffled as it continued to hide its tears and I didn't dare mention them knowing that it wouldn't want that.

"There, there~ You're amazing remember that."
I spoke softly when suddenly we were interrupted by a soldier Mokke.

"Your Majesty, Hanako won't shut up! He keeps bothering me to tell you that he wants to talk to you, it's annoying."

The ghost once cradled against my hand backed away quickly and straightened itself while clearing its throat.
"We have a few minutes before we go, hear him out if you want."

I sneered at the thought, had Hanako finally swallowed his pride and started talking.

I made my way to our hostages and immediately they all stared at me warily.

Hanako glared and stayed silent despite me being told that he was eager to talk to me.

Yashiro who sat beside him, gently pocked Hanako with her arm a few times. Not earning a reaction she lightly slapped the back of his head making him jolt forward and mutter a strained
"Hey!"