Your Part Of The Promise (Chapter 40)

"You, have, the journal?"
I state emphasizing each word.

"Yep, did you think I'm completely clueless as to what my brother is up to? I kinda just assumed Mint was working for Minka and that this all probably was just because Teru is an actual idiot."
He says as if he is proud of his accomplishment while standing up from his seat. From how he sounded it was likely he hadn't read the contents of the journal.

"I-I never doubted you!"
I answer putting my hand around his shoulder and he just gives me that stare which reads 'You totally did, didn't you'

"But why didn't Teru bring the journal with him?"
I wonder out loud and Kou is quick to answer me.

"He was never planning on giving it back but he was cleverly pressured into it when Minka said she'll give the weapons to you because you've already gone to bring it back."

"Woah, that's some grade-A improvisation from her. Well then let's go collect these weapons. And keep your word, alright?"
I said before letting go of him.

"I will, don't let me down either."
He replied placing his hand on my shoulder for a moment.

My eyes widened, he wasn't going to force me to be better instead he was just expecting it. Having him believe in me like this somehow made me want to prove myself.

"I won't make the same mistake twice!"
I held out my hand with a grin, perhaps some humans were respectable.

With a determined smile, he took my hand and shook it firmly.

We turned to the room where the final boss was waiting, ready for anything.

With a creek the door fell open by itself, inviting us in.

"Who would have thought, the little exorcist was up to this."
Her voice echoed through the place as she sat at her desk writing with a feather on some paper.

"You even brought company, oh this will make a lovely look on that blond weasel."
She added as she turned to look at us. I almost choked trying to suppress my laughter but Kou spared it no comment.

"Where is my staff?"
Kou asked firmly.

"Right here, but first flip through my journal. I want to make sure no page has been removed."
She replied her tone lacking in friendliness.

Kou did as he was told, slipping the small diary out of his pants pockets.
He flips it open turning it towards her and flutters through the pages.

"Good, at least he didn't tear any out, one can never tell with that guy."
She says with a relieved sigh and takes the bundle from her desk before throwing it over to us.

It clattered as it landed in front of my feet and Kou threw the book towards her which she caught with ease.

I attempted to pick the bundle up but was baffled when it didn't budge.

"What the heck?!"
I grumble as I continue to tug at it but it was too heavy. How did Mint carry these as a Mokke? Was he secretly buff all along?!

The boy beside me giggled at my attempts before finally deciding to help me out.

"Unwrap it, will you."
He instructed and I did as I was told. I undid the knots and pulled off the fabric to reveal a golden staff and the dangerously sharp yet beautiful Katana.

Kou's eyes sparked up as he saw his weapon, immediately he snatched it and wrapped his arms around it in a big hug.

"Oh, how I missed you!"
He speaks seemingly forgetting about everything around him.