Chapter 44

The remnants of their uneasy dinner lingered in the air as Adi and Paro sat in silence, a fragile truce forged between them. Just as Adi began to revel in the delusion of a newfound understanding, the discordant melody of a message notification pierced the silence, causing Paro's heart to skip a beat.

She reached for her phone, her fingers trembling as she glanced at the screen. The name that appeared, Rishabh, sent a jolt of both nervousness and anxiety coursing through her veins. A message glowed on the screen.

" Are you on the way?" 

Paro gulped remembering she needed to attend his birthday party. That's what he told her aunt before leaving.

Adi's curiosity piqued when he saw her deeply invested in her phone.

 "Who is it ?" he asked, his tone laced with a mix of suspicion and desire for control.

Paro's throat tightened, her mind racing to find a plausible explanation. She gulped nervously, her voice strained, 

"It's from home. I need to go immediately."

The words left her mouth spontaneously.

Adi's eyes narrowed, a surge of disappointment hit him. He didn't want to let Paro go so soon, not after the progress he believed they had made. But, caught in the whirlwind of his momentarily elevated mood, he reluctantly agreed, unable to dampen the flickering ember of happiness within him. 

"Alright, I'll take you. I don't want you out of my sight for too long," he conceded, his voice masking a trace of dominance.

Paro shook her head, her determination resolute. "No, Adi. It's fine. I can go on my own. It won't take long," she insisted, her words veiled with a hint of defiance.

Adi hesitated, his possessive instincts battling with the remnants of reason within him. Eventually, he relented, realizing the futility of trying to control her every move. 

"Are you sure?" He asked once more, hoping she would change her decision.

" Yes, I am. Don't worry." Probably that was the most normal reply she gave willingly that evening. His heart skipped a beat.

Paro rose from her seat, a mix of relief and urgency flooding her being. She bid Adi a brief farewell.

 As she walked away, Adi's eyes followed her, a tangle of conflicting emotions warring within him.

With Paro's departure, Adi found himself alone, his initial happiness replaced by a sense of restlessness. He glanced at his watch, realizing he had some unfinished work to attend to. Resigned to his obligations, he too took his leave, his steps carrying him towards his own secluded world of responsibilities.

………..

As the night grew darker, a storm brewed within Adi's troubled mind. He couldn't stop smiling, remembering the time they spent together a while ago. A sly smirk made its way to his lips when he remembered how she gave up on his demand without fighting. 

All he needed to do was manipulate. No, he didn't mean it when he said he regretted his action towards her. He didn't feel sorry. Not even a bit. Why would he?

Aren't lovers supposed to make love? How would she even understand how much he loved her, if he didn't touch her? Did he not know how there's always a hidden 'yes' behind every girl's 'no'? Did he not notice how her heartbeat increased and her voice lowered when he touched her?

Who wouldn't want a dominant, handsome, possessive lover like him? Who got all the power in the world and would do anything for their love. Even if it meant fighting with her. One day she would understand how lucky she was to be chosen by him.