chapter three

"Jimin had become truly beautiful."

-The New Shipment-

(7 years later)

The boys huddle together as cold air makes itself known in the cellar. Winter was always like this. With the cellar warm enough to survive but cold enough to never be comfortable. Jimin and Taehyung had to cuddle together just to remind themself they were alive sometimes.

To know they weren't alone..

The fluffy cat Jimin had saved snuggled between them, offering a ball of warmth both of them dearly appreciated. Kiwi, Jimin had named it. Taehyung didn't really get the name but chose not to question it, knowing the cat was one of the only things down here that made Jimin happy.

No one had come to save them. Taehyung didn't know if the people didn't think there was anyone over here, or if they just truly didn't care. But Taehyung had accepted about 2 years in the no one was coming.

Jimin still hadn't figured it out. The boy still held hope that the government was was just taking longer than they said, or maybe they were so busy saving other people that they were delayed.

Taehyung didn't have the heart to tell him the truth..

They were both now 21 and the food had ran out over 4 years ago. They had managed to make it last longer than it was supposed to, but around 3 years in Taehyung had to start making some very dangerous trips to the store down the street.

Jimin had begged him not to go, but even the boy knew that they would starve if Taehyung didn't. He had also begged to go instead of Taehyung, but the elder shut that down before the words even left his mouth.

Jimin prayed for Taehyung every time the man would leave, and considering Taehyung always came back Jimin believed he was fortunate. He convinced himself they were lucky.

Taehyung didn't have the heart to correct him about that either.

It's only when Jimin's falling asleep cuddling Kiwi, and Taehyung continues stroking his now fully grown golden hair as he always did when Jimin slept.. that he heard it.

Loud rumbling fills the room above them, making Taehyung shoot out of their cot and walk towards the stairs. The man is about the open the door, but just as he goes to the metal shoots open and reveal a tall old man in camo.

Jimin was a deep sleeper, but that much ruckus even woke him up after a couple minutes.

"Tae?" He calls out, letting Kiwi run off his lap as he rubs his eyes and gets up to walk to the bright lights.

Taehyung doesn't answer nor does he turn toward Jimin. He only continues talking to something in the doorway as Jimin warily approaches the scene.

"We apologize for being so late. My name is Agent Sanders and this is our last lookout for survivors. We finally spotted this cellar under all the snow." He says, not failing to notice how Taehyung clenches his fist beside him.

"It didn't snow for 7 years you bastards." The boy spits at the elder, finally glancing at a nervous Jimin behind him with pure anger.

"Let's go." Taehyung says, grabbing Jimin's hand before attempting to walk past the elder man.

"Wait." Jimin whispers, running out of Taehyung's grasp to grab Kiwi by the stairs. The military men furrow their brows at the scene, but Jimin remains oblivious as he holds the cat to his chest and walks past them.

"Thank you." He says genuinely once he's outside, taking in the large helicopter and the bright sky above them.

He couldn't remember the last time he'd been outside.