chapter forty-nine

'He was happy'

-The People We Don't Deserve-

"I-Is that.." Jimin cuts himself off, unable to believe his eyes as he walks into the moon lit room and his eyes settle on a familiar ball of fur cleaning itself. Jungkook had led him to the small field blindly, refusing to tell the blonde why he was taking him there.

Now Jimin felt as if this might all be a dream.

"Yes sweetheart, it's him." Is all Jungkook says, unable to bite back his smile when Jimin's eyes fill up with tears of shock. The boy doesn't waste a moment before running to the cat, scooping Kiwi up as he had when he'd saved the kitten all those years ago.

Jimin sobs as he burries his face into soft fur, the cat purring almost immediately. It licks Jimin lovingly, as if sensing the boys obvious burst of emotion.

"Kiwi." The boy whispers, holding on to the animal for dear life while Jungkook quietly sits on the grass, watching the heartwarming exchange with soft eyes.

They had to stay in the medical room for two days after the incident just to make sure they were okay, but the moment they got out Jungkook wanted Jimin to see what he'd done. After all of that, the first thing the general wanted to to was get to boy to smile again.

And just by seeing that beautiful smile now, he knew that saving the cat was worth it.

The raven tilts his head when the blonde slowly puts the cat down, but his confusion is quickly replaced by shock when a small body suddenly collides with his and the general falls to his back.

Jungkook puts a hand on Jimin's back to steady him, but the boy pays their position no mind as he wraps his arms around the raven, hugging him so tight he was sure Jungkook could feel it.

"You saved him?" He sniffles, lifting his head so he can meet the warm expression of the general below him.

Jungkook strokes his waist. "I told you to trust me, didn't I?" He teases, and Jimin burries his head in Jungkook's neck at the words.

He was speechless. Like many times before, Jungkook had taken his breath away.

"But w-why would you risk it? I mean, couldn't you lose your job if they found out?" Jimin says, his eyes holding worry while Jungkook only seems to be at ease.

"I was more scared of losing you." The general admits, subconsciously hugging the boy tighter at the words.

Jimin looks up to meet dark, and yet soft eyes.

Those eyes were so different from the ones he'd met months ago..

"You would've never lost me.." Jimin replies, and yet Jungkook's eyes don't change. Deep down the raven thought about that. The fact that Jimin was so sweet he would probably forgive him for it. The fact that despite what Jungkook had done the boy would've loved him anyway.

He supposed for once in his life though.. Jungkook wanted to deserve Jimin's love.

"I wanted you to be happy." Is what the general settles for, the words simple and yet holding limitless meaning for the boy currently on top of him.

Once again Jimin tears up. "I am happy." Is what the blonde whispers, surprising the raven for the second time today as he leans down and captures Jungkook's lips in his.

••••••••••••••

(The next day)

"General Jeon, I would like to speak with you." Agent Sanders calls, stopping Jungkook in the hallway just as the General was getting ready to meet everyone for breakfast.