Chapter Two: Whatever's Meant To Be

I gulped, hard. I haven't felt this kind of nervousness in a long time, if ever. Not even performing to the President of the United States could compare to how I felt after I press sent.

My body broken out in a cold sweat, I decided to take a shower. I could hear Tamra rustling in her room, and knew she would be coming in to get me in a few minutes. I started stripping off my sweater and trackpants I'd had on since I left the arena hours ago. I hopped in the shower, the hot water relaxing my body. I gathered my thoughts, and though I had no sleep, I felt ready for the day ahead. I tried to push the thoughts of John aside, stepping out of the shower before wrapping a towel around my body. I quickly dried my hair before putting it in a messy bun, walking over to my suitcase to pull out my usual low-key attire: the Adidas tracksuit. Though I was feeling slightly better, I really wasn't in the mood to deal with being stopped.

Tamra noticed my change of mood upon walking in, and though she knew I wasn't completely my normal self, decided to not ask questions again. I silently thanked her for that. I still couldn't push the thoughts of him out, so I decided to switch my phone off and try to clear my mind. Tamra, Erika and I walked to the car waiting for us outside the hotel without any dramas, and the same walking into the terminal to board my plane. It was nice to be in a country without paparazzi, but it was absolutely freezing - the sun had just begun to rise as I stepped, shivering, onto the plane. Headphones in, music playing, I just wanted to get back to the comfort of my home in Los Angeles.

Thankfully, the flight to LA went quick. When I wasn't sleeping, Brad was going over the Europe tour schedule, my days off, and projects I had lined up when I got back home. I couldn't wait to walk into my house, it had been months since I slept in my own bed. By the time we reached LA, it was 1:20am, the same day we'd left. The timezones had really started to mess with me, but I was too tired to care anymore and went straight from the airport to my house. No paparazzi and no one stopping me on the way home, it felt like a luxury.

It was even colder in LA than it was in New Zealand, so I opened the front door to my house as quickly as I could to avoid the cold. Tamra had simply dropped me off so I could spend the next few nights myself before spending Christmas in Santa Barbara with my family, doing events and the jobs I had lined up when I got back to LA soon after. I quickly remembered upon walking through my elegant corridor that the last time I had been home, I hadn't been alone, I was with Diplo. Even though that relationship was short and sweet, it stung and once again triggered the demonic thoughts in my mind.

I walked upstairs to my bedroom, going into a chest of drawers in my walk-in wardrobe to change into pajamas, before approaching my bed and pulling back the covers of my bed, falling into the soft mattress. The smell of my home made me feel so at ease, so peaceful. I was so tired but my thoughts kept me awake. Why couldn't I stop thinking about him? What was drawing me back? I couldn't shake it from my mind. I thought about what could happen. What could happen if we were reunited....

I woke up, as a result of the sun shining directly onto my face. I forgot to close the curtains last night and now I regretted it, as I squinted my eyes and grunted, rolling over to the other side. I tried and tried to get back to sleep, but I couldn't. I didn't even know what the time was, and it was then that I remembered I hadn't even turned my phone on since leaving Auckland. I walked downstairs, appreciating the feel of the white fluffy carpet under my feet. I walked into the kitchen, boiling the kettle, preparing to make a coffee. It felt so good to be home again. It felt like the water was taking forever to come to a boil, so I decided to try and find my purse. I had no idea what the time was, and I was sure my mom would have tried calling me, so I slid my phone out of the front pocket my handbag and turned it on.

I finished making my coffee, the hot substance meeting my lips made me feel at peace again with the world. I missed my home, I missed my coffee. It had been so long since I'd had coffee due to the tour and the restrictions my team put on my diet. I felt like myself again. I could see my phone buzzing on the bench, receiving notification after notification. I picked it up, and held it in my right hand, sipping my coffee with the other. I opened my messages, and as expected, there were a million from Mom. I quickly replied to her before she tried calling as I knew she would be worried.