Chapter Four: Time Out

I woke up by rolling blissfully onto my right side, stretching my arms above my head. It felt good to not have an alarm set, I actually felt completely rested for once. I could hear the muffled sounds of my family talking to one another and laughing, the delicate sounds of plates being laid on the table, and the smell of breakfast cooking. It truly felt good to be home, I felt like a new person.

I climbed out of bed and changed from yesterday's clothes into a new set, simply putting on a pair of skinny jeans and an oversized sweater with only my bra on underneath. I walked into the bathroom which connected Angela & I's old bedrooms together, and I washed my face before tying up my hair into a messy bun. I felt refreshed, and better about myself today. I brushed my teeth, before heading down the hallway into the dining room, where I could hear my family. I walked in, greeted by a smile off of everyone at the table. Everyone looked happier today, enjoying each other's company.

"Good morning Katheryn. You look better this morning. Sleep well?" Dad said, bringing a plate of hot toast toward the table and placing it down.

"I did thanks Dad. I think I was just really exhausted yesterday, and I think everything just got to me. Which leads me to my next statement, which is to apologise about going to bed so early and not catching up with you all last night. I feel awful, but I hope you can all understand and accept my apology. I promise to make it up to you today," I stated, with every bit of sincerity in my voice. I sat down on a spare chair, located in the middle of Angela and David. Upon sitting down, I felt a squeeze on my hand, and looked up to see Angela smiling back at me.

"Thank you for last night, Ange. Truly, I really appreciate it, from the bottom of my heart. You've cleared so many things for me, I promise you I'm feeling so much better today," I said quietly.

"I'm glad. You deserve to be happy." She smiled, before she turned her attention to Stella, who had started getting restless in her lap.

Spending time with each member of my family, including Grandma Ann, was priceless. Since I barely got to see everyone anymore, due to everyone living spread across the country and me with my conflicting, busy schedule, I was determined to make the most of this vacation away from the harsh reality of my career.

So much laughter was carried out during breakfast that barely any of us actually ate, our stomachs hurting from laughing too hard at the memories of our childhoods being brought up. David and I were goofing around in our chairs as usual, making everyone laugh that much more, even Mom, who struggled to keep a straight face.

"David and Katheryn, keep in mind, are 26 and 30 years old, yet I feel like no time has passed at all..," Mom remarked, only encouraging David and I to wind her up more.

Angela, always the sensible one, thought it smart to bring up the plans for the rest of the day.

"What's everyone doing today?" She said, clearing her throat and taking a sip of her orange juice. Everyone sat in silence for a minute, before Victoria finally broke it.

"Well, since it's absolutely freezing outside, I was thinking a movie day. We should all get blankets and pillows and crowd around the TV, and be lazy shits." She said, winking at my Mom as a dig, as Mom hated cursing in the household, though I hate to admit I tested her quite a lot with my choice of words when I was younger, and I still do.

"That sounds good, actually. I could do with a junk food hangover instead of a real one for once!" Sarah laughed.

"What do you think Mary? Keith? Katy? I think it would be a good idea, it means we don't have to worry about the baby being exposed to the cold," Svend said, slowly rocking Stella in his arms as he stood at the kitchen island counter.