Chapter Fifty: The Girl Next Door

"Ugh, I give up," I slumped, sighing in defeat as I leant against the kitchen counter, looking at John through my favourite pair of Ray Bans. "This just isn't it either."

"We'll find it, don't worry Kate," John chuckled as he studied my frustration. This was the fourth of five houses we'd looked at this afternoon. I was over it by this point. My feet were sore, and I was now having lower back pain, which combined, made me incredibly grumpy. Besides the fact that not one of the houses were what we were looking for. I never realised how exhausting this would be. We'd been at this for hours. I could tell John was as equally tired and frustrated, but he was doing his best not to show it.

"C'mon, we've got one more. Let's go," He smiled as he came closer, grabbing my hand and pulling me to him. I wrapped my arms around his waist, feeling him gently kiss the top of my head.

"We're going to find the perfect house... I have a good feeling about this next one," He whispered sweetly into my ear as I retracted slightly back, smiling weakly and giving him a peck on the lips.

He slid his hand into mine as he lead me out of the house, towards our car. I followed, squinting as the gentle light of the impending sunset was shining directly into my eyes.

I opened the door to John's Range Rover, getting inside and slumping in the seat before struggling to reach the door to close it. I rested my head on my hand on the window, letting out a tired sigh. Now that I'd finally sat down again after God knows how long, everything had started to catch up on me. I felt like I hadn't slept in days, when in reality I was resting almost all of my time off now.

"Do you know where you're going?" I asked as I saw John furrow his eyebrows, biting his lip as he slowly reversed out of the driveway behind our real estate agent, Sarah.

"Yeah, I'm just following Sarah there. Don't worry, you can trust me," He winked, giving me a chuckle before he concentrated back on his driving.

"You know I do," I said, yawning as I let my body relax as we drove lightly along the neighborhood of Los Angeles. It was only two minutes into the drive that I'd felt my body give in, the tiredness and the exhaustion taking control as my eyelids forced themselves shut, my body becoming limp and heavy as I fell into a deep sleep.

I had developed an intense headache stemming from the short nap I took in the car, which abruptly woke me up, probably due to the way I'd been slumping in my seat against the window of the car. I felt even worse than before now, and instantly hated myself for having a nap instead of waiting until we got home.

"Kate..." John whispered gently, making me open my eyes as hard as it was, pulling my head up from the window where I'd been sleeping to look at what was in front of us.

"Wow..." I said almost breathlessly as I took the almost too-perfect view. The view of everything I could ever possibly dream of...In a house. It looked almost too perfect to be true. Was it love at first sight? I wasn't sure, but a wave of something indescribable took over my body as I studied the glorious home in front of us.

I looked over to John with my mouth wide open in awe, which he seemed to have written over his face also. He stopped the car, the both of us sitting in silence as we looked at the beautiful European-style home that yearned for our attention, which we very easily gave.

"I think this is it," John said as he looked over to me, reaching his hand over and placing it on my thigh and squeezing it gently. "Let's go have a look."

I squealed lightly as I gave him a grin, my headache suddenly disappearing in the wave of excitement that overtook me as I opened the car door, John rushing to my aid to help me lightly place my feet on the driveway beneath us. I was almost speechless. It was like a house you saw in the fairytales.
I only hoped it wasn't too good to be true.