Chapter Forty-Five: The Edge of Desire

"We are?" I asked, wondering why on Earth we would be driving to Santa Barbara now, of all times. It was almost dinner time, and I was completely exhausted. I really just wanted to go home to the comfort of my bed. I honestly thought he was joking.

"Kate, the house is completely swamped with paparazzi right now. It's not safe to stay in LA at the moment, so I organised for us to go and see your family," He said, turning back to me between concentrating on the road.

"But what about the BBMA's? I have to come back for them," I confessed, feeling guilty that I mentioned work, but I'd signed an agreeement months ago stating I'd be attending. I was in breach of a contract if I didn't go.

"You're not going. I already discussed it with Bradford and Steve, and they've taken care of it. It's just going to be a media frenzy. You need to just relax and unwind babe, I've already packed you a bag," He said, pointing towards the backseat, where, just like he'd said, one of my duffel bags was sitting.

"You are the most caring person I've ever met. You're gonna make me cry," I joked, though I did find it incredibly adorable that he'd gone out of his way to do this to protect me. I'd completely forgotten that the paparazzi would lurk at my house. I ignored them most of the time anyway.

"Please don't," He laughed, and I leaned over in my seat to kiss his chest, giggling at the stubble that'd started to grow which itched my lips.

"What're you laughing at?" He said as he tried to understand, his eyebrows furrowed as he looked between the road ahead and I.

"Oh nothing, you're just looking a little like a caveman," I laughed, reaching my hand over to gently touch his stubble, for which he rolled his eyes under his Ray Bans, giving out a light chuckle at my sass.

"You're talking like I didn't see what you looked like every night after coming home from the studio before you released PRISM," He now laughed, more so when he turned to see my shocked facial expression. Burned, Katy. Burned. I didn't have a comeback greater than that.

"John! You're so mean," I said, suddenly playing the sympathy card, though it was so overused on John he never believed me anymore.

"You love me," He laughed, raising an eyebrow. He got me there. He knew he was cute, and he loved using it to his advantage around me. Because it always worked.

"Unfortunately, I do," I quipped back, sticking my tongue out before sliding my phone out of my pocket, checking my notifications before placing it back into my pocket.

I, not enough for him to notice, turned my head to study John as he continued driving, his eyes focused on the road and his lips in an adorable little pout. I smiled at the genuine attitude of my man, and how lucky I was so have him in my life. I was so blessed.

"Let's do this baby!" I then yelled excitedly, turning the radio up as a wave of excitement overtook me, now dancing along to the random song on the radio. John shook his head at me, giving me a 'you are ridiculous' look, but I knew he loved it. I looked out the window, admiring the beautiful golden glow of Los Angeles, the sky perfectly blue without a cloud in sight, now excited about roadtripping to my hometown.

.............................................................................

I woke up in the bedroom of my teenage years, confused as to how I got here. I couldn't remember anything after falling asleep in the car, probably ten minutes into the drive. I rolled over slightly, seeing a glass of water and my phone which someone must've placed there. I unlocked my phone, lazily checking my notifcations and text messages, before looking at the time. 10:23am. Holy shit, was I really that tired?