Chapter Nine: Part of Me

John's POV:

"So, what do you say?" I said, my voice trembling as my nerves continued to take over.
I couldn't believe I had the courage to finally do it, and though I had it planned throughout the day, I knew it was a risk and that I was taking a lot of chances due to what she has been through.

I couldn't help but look at Katy's face as she stared back at me, her mouth slightly open, tears falling down her cheeks. I wiped them away with my thumb, before standing back again and letting her talk. Usually I could read her like a book, but in this moment, I didn't know. I had an inkling I had made a wrong decision, judging by how long it was taking for her to reply. She gulped nervously, and I could feel her hands trembling in mine. Her face had flushed white. This was not good.

"John, I.... " She said, her voice shaking as more tears rolled down her face. I immediately swallowed despite my mouth feeling completely dry. Fuck, this was definitely not good at all. I'd made a terrible mistake, and I hated myself instantly for it. Why did I think it was a good idea to do it now, when she was still recovering from what happened with Russell? A part of me felt angry that I had done this to myself, but more angry that I had done it to her. It was unfair. I felt like an asshole, and just as I got ready to open my mouth to apologise and leave, she started talking again.

"I..... I'm speechless. I don't know what to say," She said, and I could tell she picked up on my change of emotion when I moved back from her as she moved closer.

"That was..... The most beautiful thing I've ever experienced," she said, cupping her hands in front of her face as she cried again.

I walked up and put my arms around her, cradling her to my chest. I still didn't understand what she was meaning... I was getting mixed messages. But I didn't care, I wrapped her in my arms in effort to protect her. I wanted her to stop crying, as the more she cried, the more horrible I felt. I wanted to drop everything and run, and forget this whole thing ever happened. I couldn't do that to her though, as much as I wanted to. I felt a light force push me away from her, as she pulled herself out of my grip and straightened herself up, wiping her eyes and nose with a tissue from her clutch.

She reached into my hand, and took the ring from the grip of my palm, which I had forgotten was there. She laid out her left hand, before slipping the ring on her fourth finger, closest to her pinky. I instantly recognised that it was the finger an engagement ring is supposed to be placed. I stared at her, in shock.
She breathed loudly, before smiling through her watery eyes and managing to talk, which sounded more like a whisper.
"I love you too. I want to spend my the rest of my life with you too, and...." She said, moving her fallen hair out of her face before continuing . "And, I'm sorry that I'm not ready. I don't know why it's taking me so long to recover from the past, but I want to let you know that in the meantime, I accept this promise ring and that one day, I will be able to marry you," She said sincerely, her beautiful blue eyes glistening under the moonlight.

Without hesitation, I picked her up as if she were a small child, and swung her around, my hands holding her underneath. She wrapped her arms around my neck before placing her head on mine, and I lent up to kiss her lips. Her face was damp and warm from crying, and I let one arm that was holding her go as I lifted it up in effort to dry her face. She smiled, resting her forehead on mine and staring intensely into my eyes. She was so, so beautiful.

We spent the rest of the night which lead into the early hours of the morning, walking around, our hands refusing to leave one another. The park had gotten quieter as the later it got into the night, which meant Katy and I could go on the amusement rides with slimmer chances of being recognised and stopped. By this point, we had been on so many rides that the both of us were dizzy, laughing at one another as we walked back toward Disneyland. We had spent the past two hours at California Adventure next door, and we were now heading back. It was still dark out, and I checked my watch on my wrist. 3:47am. Katy and I headed over to the Space Mountain ride, although we'd already been on it more than a dozen times tonight.